Need to view wmv file on OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vietalogy, Sep 17, 2006.

1. vietalogy macrumors 6502

i have a lecture for class on vma format but when i try to view it with my mac with flip4mac all i get is audio and no video. So is there anyway to view it on my mac or PC is the only route?

2. MrFrankly macrumors regular

So is it a wmv or a wma file?

3. vietalogy thread starter macrumors 6502

its a wmv.

i dont know what to download? i have a powerbook G4 and when i click on PowerPC i see a list of items but dont know what to do?

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

5. vietalogy thread starter macrumors 6502

do i download all the files?

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

7. vietalogy thread starter macrumors 6502

i get this error when trying to view my wmv file.

main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `MSS2'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

8. Whimsy macrumors member

I've went through that same exact problem. Fortunately, I had the actual Microsoft Windows Media Player, before they switched over to Flip4Mac. VLC doesn't do wmv's for some reason...Try www.versiontracker.com and download the actual Windows Media Player (I think it was the first link when you search under version tracker for "Windows Media Player").

9. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

That's MS's WMV 9 screen codec and it's not supported on Mac. Even MS's Media Player 9 for the Mac doesn't support it and never did.

Supposedly Flip4Mac is attempting to get it to work, but it's not happening yet. I don't know about VLC's "nightly" but average users should steer clear of nightly builds unless they know what they are doing. Nightlies are intended to be for testing purposes only and shouldn't be substituted for the stable public release.

The current version of VLC (0.8.5) doesn't support WMV 9 anything. Supposedly, that ability is being developed for the next version.

10. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

I beleive flip4mac already has a Intel version running. It plays ok but i cannot see the progress bar

11. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Yeah flip4mac is already universal. Hmm, as I recall VLC does handle .wmv but not the latest WMV9 codec. According to the flip4mac page it should support WMV9 is your video DRM protected? Try redownloading and reinstalling? linky

12. vietalogy thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The latest nightlies for VLC are at the bottom of the lists, but I cannot get the video to play with even the latest vlc nightly, or quicktime with Flip4Mac...:( You are gonna need a Windows PC to view the video unless you can persuade your lecturer to encode the video in a more platform neutral format like Quicktime, Xvid, DivX or basically any other format...