Need ultralight laptop (no mac allowed)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asphalt-proof, Oct 18, 2006.

1. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    Ok.My POS Gateway work computer is slowly dying. I asked my boss if I could buy my own computer (with her funds of course), maintain it myself and upgrade etc. I would, of course, buy a Macbook. My boss (not unreasonably) told me to go stuff myself. But she did say that she would buy me a computer of my choice so long as its NOT a mac.
    History: My school district only uses Windows based computers. I have personally talked to the techs and they said they would all quit en masse if a mac ever touched their network.

So I am left to getting a new laptop. I want something small. Something I can carry in a small bag. I would be using it on the road a bit, so a OQO screen size won't work. But anything 8"+ would be great. Does anyone have suggestions?
  2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2006
    I know, been in that situation before, with techs whose only reason to not support Macs is that it isn't policy, and then take the moral high ground when you get pissed off with them. Either that or they don't realise that Apple has used ethernet and http since 1908.

As for a light laptop, you're limited, as the best are only available as expensive imports from Japan. I'd aim for something with a 12" screen and a built in optical drive - lugging around a seperate unit is no fun. Also, durability is a must so look at a Thinkpad or the like.

Finally, just need to check that you have gone through all the explaining bootcamp sort of thing...

3. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2006
    London, UK
    The Sony Vaio TX Series are very nice and portable (11.1" screen)
  4. dsnort macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2006
    In persona non grata
    But if you switched the entire network over to Macs, would anyone notice that the IT guys were gone? :D
  5. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    I did mention the whole Bootcamp think and I swear I saw a little sweat form on his brow and his lips quiver.
  6. Quboid macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2006
    Avetec has some pretty nice, small machines too. You can look into that. The sony tx series are also ok (by mac standards). But the avetec is small and affordable, and since its a pc your getting, cost may be a factor.
  7. jTreu macrumors 6502

May 20, 2006
  8. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
  9. Paul S macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2006
    When I was in college, I used a Dell Inspiron 2100. All of the drives were external and the thing weighed next to nothing--very slim. It's a good cost-efficient alternative to the VAIO. (although, you'll want something better than the 2100. Not sure which "slim" model that Dell has currently)
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    One of those Dell 600m 12.1" notebooks.

Otherwise, Quboid was right when saying Averatec is a decent company. I remember them from like 4 years ago, but haven't heard their name for awhile. :)

Otherwise, Fujitsu makes small notebooks (reliability issues, though?) or Flybook. I think they're from Taiwan though.
  11. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    Does any one have experience with UMPCs. I was looking at the Sony Viao UX. It intrigues me a bit. I guess I should have outlined what I do.
    I am a itinerate school psychologist. This means that I go from school to school and do testing, counseling, and meet with parents and teachers. I take notes on a pad of paper but all my reports are done on computer. I lug around test kits along with a laptop and its attendant stuff.
    After looking at this Sony UX, I was thinking I could use this at the schools for on-the-fly research, do email, and run test scores though programs. Heavy duty usage would be done back at my office where I would attach a full sized keyboard and LCD monitor.
    Does anyone have alternate suggestions or has anyone used this Viao? This is kind of an investment for my school district and my boss and has been very supportive of me and my job. I don't want to have to go back to her after buying it and telling her that its useless to me.
  12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    That's an oppourtunity I would not want to pass up. :D
  13. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    Lenovo has a nice 12" notebook, and Sony has an amazing 11" notebook. I say it's amazing because it's small and they managed to fit an optical drive + 80GB HD in it! But I hear that it gets really hot. You have to take the bad with the good, I guess.
  14. SRSound macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
  15. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    Lenovo X60 hands down .. or if you have money to blow
    Sony SZ
  16. KT322 macrumors newbie

May 26, 2006
    Unless it is paramount to have an ultra-slim, ultra-light notebook, a mid-sized (15.4" screen, 6.17 lbs, 1.02"-1.39" thick, 14.41" W x 10.81" D) Sony Vaio FE-Series will give much higher performance w/ greater durability for considerably less $$ (~$1350 for the VGN-FE770G). My brother just got one and loves it, same with my other brother with his year-old Vaio FS.

Hope this helps,

17. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    Try for a Sony Picturebook. Even though they're weak, they're soooo small.
  18. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Another example of how poorly informed these so called "professional" IT people are.

Print this guide and ask your boss to read it in her spare time.

Cc: It department so they have a clue.

Reading, you know that education thing.
  19. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been using an IBM x40 as a law student, carrying it around all day. I would definitely recommend a Lenovo X series. The things are so small and lightweight I often am unsure if I remembered to put it into my bag.

Furthermore, I assume this is still true, ThinkPads are built like tanks. This thing had a motion sensor to protect the hard drive a year before powerbooks picked up the same feature.

The stupid thing works so well and has been so well suited to its role as ultraportable notetaker/word processor/web browser/email center that I can't justify buying a macbook and this is from the guy who dropped a ton of cash on a mac pro b/c it was shiny.
  20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location