Need urgent help on installing Panther..

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by toughboy, Mar 5, 2004.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

This will be my first time MacOS installation. I have Jaguar 10.2.8, and I want to shift to Panther and gained the cds. I have 3 cds for installation and I want to install the Panther on a clean, formatted harddrive..

can someone explain in most detailed and in most "for a dumb" way if possible...

thanx in advance

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

This is just from memory, so I may make a few mistakes.
    First backup any data if necessary. Then insert install disc 1. Open it and there's something like Install Mac OS X. Open it and it will ask you to restart. Do this. After restarting, simply follow the instructions. At some stage it will ask for a destination disk. Choose the disk, and when it asks for an installation type select Clean Install (or it might say Erase and Install). This formats the disk and then installs it. If you want, you can customize what is installed, eg not install every language, but it is easier just to leave it as is. When the installation has started, it may ask you at various stages to insert a different CD. Do this, and eventually it will finish. There will probably be a setup assistant after that.

3. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

sounds so simple, sounds so Apple to me.. :)

I hope I wont make everything worse...

anything you might want to suggest while/after installation? except doing the software update stuff ofcourse..

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

As long as you have all your data backed up, you have nothing to lose. :)

Repairing permissions after installation might fix a few potential problems. Go to Applications/Utilites/Disk Utility, select the disk and click the 'Repair Disk Permissions' button.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you could have just put the disc in and followed the instruction.