Need video from laptop to broadcast to remote tv

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Fini, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Fini macrumors newbie

Fini

Okay, I am trying to problem solve a video setup in my office and need some assistance.

I currently have a laptop in a building connected via DVI cable to an HDTV that basically shows a PowerPoint presentation over and over. Now we want to add another screen in a different building that will show the same content. It would be possible to connect another laptop to the new second screen, but I really want to avoid that if possible. My logic tells me there is a hardware solution out there that would enable me to take care of this without the need of a second computer.

Some details on the environment:
    CatV and wireless ethernet are available in both locations and they share a common LAN.

I have been looking at a couple of pieces of hardware to accomplish the job, but I have been unable to reach the manufacturer to confirm it's compatibility to the job. Said piece of hardware is the Buffalo Linktheater HD.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Danke.:)

2. seniorstinky macrumors regular

I assume you meant they share a common WAN (unless you have some nice fiber and bridging going on between the 2 sites).

Anyways, I'm not sure about any solution like that but my question is why not create a movie of the presentation and use DVD players with loop features to solve this issue? Seems like the more simple solution.

Just a thought.

3. Fini thread starter macrumors newbie

Fini

The two TV setups are on the same LAN (same site, just different buildings).

As for using a DVD, it's not so practical, as the content for the screen changes daily, and sometimes multiple times daily.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

DVDs are cheap ;)

5. seniorstinky macrumors regular

Okay, how about this then....

Publish the PowerPoint to an intranet site and have both system link to it. I haven't done this before with PowerPoint but you could convert it to flash video and do the same thing.

Setup the systems in a kiosk mode so you don't see the address bars... write a script so that it does a refresh of the content every n minutes.

This is how I'd solve this issue.