Need VNC server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, so I have a G3 with OS 10.2.6, and I'm trying to set up VNC. So far I've found two servers, but neither are any help. Apple's server* requires 10.2.8, but I can only run up to 10.2.6 on this system. The other server I've looked at is OSXvnc, but it doesn't work on headless systems, and the whole point of using VNC is so that I can run the system headless.

Does anyone know of any other servers, or is there some way I can trick OSXvnc or Apple's server into working?

*There seems to be a bit of confusion, I'm talking about the oddly-named Remote Desktop Client.

2. belvdr macrumors 601

By headless, do you mean you have no video card or that you don't have a monitor?

I think VNC hooks into the video driver, so without a video card, you'll have a tough time getting it going.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It has onboard video, but no display. Apple's server will run in this configuration but OSXvnc won't :(

4. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Have you tried just hooking up a cable? I've noticed sometimes if I've left my adapter attached to my PB it still thinks there's a display attached.

Otherwise, the OSXvnc FAQ lists a link to a dongle that will fool your Mac:

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0101-GHED

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Most of those are clients. The only server listed is OSXvnc.

Didn't work :(

I'd like to do this for free if at all possible. If I need to spend money, I'd rather use it towards a PCI video card, which makes 10.2.8 (and therefore Apple's server) compatible (10.2.6 is the last version to support the onboard video on a beige G3).

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

There's this:

http://www.ilpi.com/help/headlessmac/

And this:

(Link)

Edit: And one more, along the same lines:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20030623083303282

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, Apple's server works without a display, it must be doing something tricky. I just tried using Pacifist to force it to install on 10.2.6, but all that did was break the Sharing pane in System Preferences :(

I think I'll just get a PCI video card. I saw one up for auction for about $5 the other day, but I missed it because I was playing WoW :(

Edit: Oh, it was $5 when I saw it, but it actually went for around $35. I don't feel so bad for missing it now. It was a Radeon 7000.

9. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Is there a reason why you can't upgrade so that you can install the Apple Remote Desktop 2.2, which would give you what you need?

10. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Attack of the edit! :p

I have a beige G3, which is only supported up to 10.2.6 (10.2.8 if you use a PCI video card, but I don't have one).