Need Way to Organize Business Cards

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lanray, Apr 27, 2006.

1. lanray macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2005
    Does anyone know of a good (preferably cheap) program for scanning and organizing business cards? Ideally I could use my Epson Scanner. Suggestions?
  2. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2005
  3. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2005
    Is it illegal to bump myself once again? Starting on business venture, don't want to buy card scanner, looking for suggestions? Anyone? Heck, at this point, I'd appreciate even a prank. Throw me a bone, here.
  4. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I don't scan, but I maintain my Entourage address book pretty well. It means manual work, but it's worth it in the long run.

If you have a lot of business cards to start with, create a spreadsheet that's easier to type the data into, then import it into your Address Book or whatever dbase your using.
  5. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2005
    Thanks, iSaint. I keep my address book (mac ap) fairly well updated. Would be nice to just scan a card, though - maybe at the least attach it to the name in address book; ideally, there would be some kind of text recognition that would enter it automatically. I know there's this kind of thing for Windows, just hoping for a Mac solution.
  6. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    There is software available, namely Iris. Here is a list with some other alternatives. I'm afraid I've never tried any of them.

As they all seem rather costly to me, your best bet might be to plump for a dedicated card reader.
  7. Pacwell macrumors member

May 14, 2012
    This is old but the only topic related.

Does anyone else have a better newer solution that perhaps works with iPhone ( possibly Android :/ ) that will sync in the cloud or something.

I swear im an idiot and can't find anything. Of course I'm looking in the MAC app store and not the iPhone app store. And i want something primarily for Mac.
  8. TheBantam macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2012
    I put all the details from business cards I receive straight into Cobook (as my proxy for the Contacts dbase) for starters. I then put them in DevonThink Pro so that they are stored and OCR'd - I suppose you could do that with your scanner's own OCR software and Evernote if you wanted a free option. Works well as I can find specific people just using Cobook, but if I can't remember their name then the OCR means I can find random things like "they were on the 11th Floor" etc.
  9. Weaselboy macrumors Core

Jan 23, 2005
    It is a little old, but here is a review of some iOS apps that will do what you want.
  10. Pacwell macrumors member

May 14, 2012
    Great, thanks.

I was looking through some today figuring I would have better luck finding an IOS app that had a mac counterpart