Need Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MatthewConnelly, Dec 16, 2006.

1. MatthewConnelly macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

Well I got my MacBook yesterday and i'm loving it, apart from the fact that AirPort can't connect to my wireless router. I'm fine with an ethernet cable, and I know the AirPort is working because i've connected to somebody elses wireless network.

I spent almost an hour on the phone today with Apple Support and we pretty much concluded that all my settings were fine, and it has to be my router. I've tried all different wireless settings on the router, and even restored it to factory settings, but it's still not working for me. It's a Belkin F5D7630-4A and it's only about 2 years old.

Well anyway, I really want to get my wireless working, so i'm looking for a new wireless router with built in ADSL modem. If anyone can recommend one that will definitely work with my Mac then I will be very thankful!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you want a relivately cheap one (like £40) you will find fans of Netgear, Dlink Belkin, Linksys.

I wouldn't personally get a draft-n router, but if you have a Core-2 Laptop it might be worth doing and I can't help on that.

I like Netgear for their ease of setup, and the only sensible one is quite expensive at £55.

3. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

Have you tried the old "$" trick, add it to the begining of your WEP Key and see if it works.

4. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I got myself a Belkin G Plus MIMO Router. Works great.

I'm not sure about the ADSL modem.

No big deal configuring that thing. Just access the Router via http://192.168.2.1 and you should be right in the Router's menu.

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

£40? Are routers that much more expensive in the UK than in the US? I used to live in England before the concept of wireless routers.

6. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

That seems like a safe choice, but do you think it would come before christmas if I ordered it today?
    Yeah the guy from Apple told me to do that, it didn't work. :(

I honestly think it might just be my router. My neighbour has the same one and I get the exact same problem when I try to connect to his wireless net. Yet AirPort connects fine to another network that it picks up, so I know it is definitely working.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Amazon are guaranteeing Xmas delivery so yes it should come. BTW, can you use WPA security on your router? If so, enable it as that solves some wireless problems.

8. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

Already tried WPA/WEP/No Security, seriosuly, NOTHING works! I can live with it on my desk for now, it isn't that bad. I'll probably just go in to Currys this week and buy the router.

9. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I just ordered the router, even with standard free delivery it said it will be dispatched on Wednesday, so I guess i'll just have to wait until then. Thanks for the suggestion, Eraserhead.

10. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

Just plugged in the new Netgear router and AirPort connected instantly. Finally, I can go wireless! :D