Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Is there a way to send a word document as an e-mail? You can do this w/the windows version, but in the Mac version I can only send a doc as an attachment, not as a actual e-mail. Am I missing something or did MS just shaft us?

Lethal

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If I had to guess, I'd imagine that WinWord is using some function that's internal to Windows for sending mail.

But sending actual Word documents as mail is considered a terrible idea, and you'll find (if you do this for business) that a significant amount of your mail will not make it through corporate firewalls because of the potential for transmitting malicious macros (intentionally or unintentionally).

If Word lets you send it plain text, on the other hand, then it might be handy. Personally I don't see the value of it.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Nuts. I figured as much.

I send the same word form/notification out as an e-mail a dozen times a day and I've never had any not get delivered.

Lethal

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Need Word V.x Help

Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Is there a way to send a word document as an e-mail? You can do this w/the windows version, but in the Mac version I can only send a doc as an attachment, not as a actual e-mail. Am I missing something or did MS just shaft us?

Lethal
Word 5.1 had that function, but I never used it.

jesuisme

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Orlando, Florida, USA
Assuming you are using Mail, here's a solution that may work for you:

Word has the ability to save documents in html format. After saving in html, open the document in your browser, select all, copy, then paste into mail. I haven't tried this for very complex word documents, but it seems to work fine for simple docs with a few images.

Now, if I could only get rid of these Microsoft products on my Mac... ;)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by jesuisme
Assuming you are using Mail, here's a solution that may work for you:

Word has the ability to save documents in html format. After saving in html, open the document in your browser, select all, copy, then paste into mail. I haven't tried this for very complex word documents, but it seems to work fine for simple docs with a few images.

Now, if I could only get rid of these Microsoft products on my Mac... ;)

I'm not using Mail, but I'll try copy & pasting and see if that works. The doc isn't very complex, but it does contain a hyperlink. Thanx for the suggestion.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.