~Need your advice~help pls~

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by daniviva, Aug 2, 2004.

1. daniviva macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2004
    Hi guys~,

Here is my question:
    Should I wait for the powerbook G5 or just get the powerbook G4 right now??
    Actually, I have been thinking this question for a long time, I don't know what to do: Honestly, I want to use powerbook G5 which equips a 64 bit processor; however, there are 2 main problems I really concern about:
    1st, when will pb G5 come out??
    2nd, how is the stability(I know the cooling problem of G5 processor in the pb is tricky :( ) and perfomance of the new pb G5?

Thinking of the problem of pb G5's performance, I ,sometimes, ask myself a question: Why don't get the newest updated powerbook G4 right now?? For me, the price of powerbook G4 now is really attractive, and, I can get the ATI 9700 GPU in it ,too:D; moreover, the newest (maybe the latest :p ) update surely enhaces its perfomance and stability. Thus, I intend to purchase a powerbook G4 now...........

Sign.....really hard to make a decision?? should I wait for pb G5 or get a new pb G4 now?? Can you guys give me any suggestions? Thank you so much!!

Ar~ one more question: Can I run Mac OS X Tiger in a powerbook G4??
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...you are certainly not the first to ask this question. I would say buy that G4 Powerbook now if you have the money...G5 Powerbooks are not really on the radar yet - the *earliest* anyone reasonably expects to see them is MWSF in January but that is probably *very very very* optimistic. Yes, your G4 Powewrbook will run 10.4 Tiger when it is released next year.....oh yeah!
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Mac OS X Tiger is not out yet, but when it is, you can run it on a G4 PowerBook easily.

If you don't need a computer now, wait. If you need the laptop, get it. Don't wait for 'the next big thing' because you'll be disappointed and want to wait for 'the next next big thing' I've had a PowerBook 1.25 Ghz 15 inch for 10 months now and I love it!
  4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
  5. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Why wait???

Why wait?

First off you'll be doing without all that time.

Secondly, who knows exactly when a G5 with low enough heat output and power consumption will hit the market?

And last but not least, first generation products usually take a while before all their problems are sorted out.

My advice is to get it now, enjoy it and be happy :)
  6. daniviva thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2004
    Thank you ~!!

Thank you all you guys ~

Probably, I will get the powerbook G4 15" ~!! :)
    to be a Mac user~!! :D

by the way, when will the Tiger be released?? Spring 2005??
  7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    As far as we know (I think) it'll be first quarter of 2005.
  8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...not quite - at WWDC Steve said "first half of 2005" so it could be anywhere from January to June....oh yeah!
  9. budaapple macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2004
    9 fans to keep it cool

Keep in mind it takes 9 fans to keep the G-5 cool so I think it will be awhile before we see a G-5 mobile chip. Get the G-4 now it is plenty fast to run all the animals.
  10. daniviva thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2004
    it's me again~

Hi guys~

Your reply relly helps me to make a decision ~ Thx!!

one more question here: I read many threads discussing about the ram, some people suggest to get extra ram from Crucial. Is the Crucial rams really better? Will you suggest me to get the original apple's 512 rams??

Thanks again~!!
  11. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    Crucial Ram is not better, just cheaper than buying from Apple. Powerbooks are very choosy about what ram they will work with. Buy from Crucial and you can be confident that the memory will work with the Apple that you specify. On the website, you specify the Mac that you have and Crucial will only recommend memory that will be compatible in that Mac.

Web site is www.crucial.com