Need your help guys

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jc0481, May 30, 2006.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

I am taking an online university course with soon to be my new iMac. The requirements for the online school is the usual windows crap like IE 6 or Netscape and then the hardware requirements. The question is using Safari and tricking the website I'm running IE on Windows will that work??? Can I also use Opera and Camino on the university's website? I just don't want to dualboot to Windows just to log in and post messages,etc on the university online course. By the way I am going to University of Phoenix online.
    Thank you

2. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Can you post what the website says, or give a link to the system requirements page?

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes, give us more to work with.

If it requires Netscape, then I can't imagine that it wouldn't work with the Mac as well--they use the same rendering engine, after all, so they're functionally identical. The only reason would be if it used some Windows-only plug-in, but what would that be? And it can't be ActiveX--only IE supports that, not Netscape/Firefox, right?

4. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah sure. The website is

https://axiaecampus.phoenix.edu/

Ah never mind. I think Safari is supported. That makes my day. It was just deep into the help files. I typed in Safari in the search box. Sorry about that.
    JC

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yeah, the tools they list are all cross-platform except for IE 6, and if you poke around in the help files there are a number of mentions of Mac compatibility.

Again, unless the particular course requires some specific piece of software not available for the Mac (for example, MS Project), or their system uses ActiveX (which, if it supports Netscape, it shouldn't), it should work fine on just about any browser.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

My uni, and more specifically, my department (computing) told me implicitly not to buy a mac because it wouldn't be compatible with anything on the network.

four years later, and they've given up on PCs and are slowly replacing all the computing students' labs with iMac ones :D

best advice i could give is just do it. :)