Need your help guys.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jc0481, Oct 15, 2006.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    I will be attending itt tech soon. My wife and I have a pos dell computer a desktop one. She is taking online courses right now. I have been looking at the macs since the os 8 days. Now that we can afford another computer I have been looking at the laptops to take with me when I go to school is that a good idea ? Will that make me more productive. Do you guys take your laptops to your schools? I do occasionally bring my dell computer to my friends lan parties and for that reason I have looked at getting an iMac but now thinking about getting a macbook. I know of the macbook integrated graphics and was wondering when I dual boot with windows will that be adequate enough for occasional gaming. We use mostly warcraft games and quake 3. I like the elegance and allinone design of the imac and to take to a lan party. I have run into going to a lan party without a computer because my wife has final papers to turn in. any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    First, congrats and best luck as you start at ITT. I've worked with many ITT graduates, most of whom have demonstrated exceptional personal focus/direction (something I envy ... most of the time).

I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you're asking, so here's my "best advice." If you're in a position to choose between a Macbook and an iMac, get the iMac. Two reasons: First, by taking notes on paper at school and typing them up on the iMac at home, you'll be reinforcing your learning. Second, why turn down the extra storage and the larger screen? Apple laptops are sexy, but Apple desktops are sexy and uber-functional.

My only caveat would be if you intend to use free wifi -- on campus or elsewhere. If you're mega-mobile (and the iMac is heavy and not nearly as mobile as it looks), you may want the mobility of the laptop. But, were I in your position, I'd get the iMac.

This from a PB owner who is slowly but surely saving his way toward a 17" iMac, so take it for what it's worth. :)
  3. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    Thanks for the support. I am excited for my future. I don't want to work in a warehouse or factory all my life. To clear any confusion up. I would like to know the best path for me a desktop or a laptop ? I already have a desktop a dell. My wife uses it for an online school. I will take night classes at itt tech. Also I do take the dell to lan games occasionally so with that in mind. What is the best path to take. Thanks
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Beware of any machine pushing GMA950 or any integrated graphics, they sucked when Apple wasnt using them and they suck now. They are $4 graphics that companys can make big money on by screwing the consumer. If you are buying a new machine find a PC or Mac that has a real GPU in it. You will get years more life out of it. Thats my 2 cents. Now get ready to hear from all the Low Power I love crap butt graphics people who want others to have crap butt graphics. Future proof your machine with a decent gpu.
  5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I'm so sick of your integrated graphics bashing. Honestly, if someone isn't doing 3d or extensive gaming, then they're not going to notice the difference between the GMA950 and a dedicated card. What YOU use YOUR computers for is one thing.. but keep in mind that most consumers are not in the same boat as you.

For occasional gaming, the GMA950 can do just fine if you have the extra RAM. I've run games on mine and they work just fine. For extensive gaming or the newest titles, even the iMac's GPU isn't sufficient at the highest settings, so I wouldn't really consider that in your decision, IMO. I mean, hell, even the stock Mac Pro isn't a good gaming rig. Here is a good thread to look over with game results on the MB.

As far as school and portability goes.. I find it VERY helpful to be able to take my computer to and from class. Notes, quick access to assignments (no more "oh crap! I left it in my printer!" problems), internet.. Most of my teachers talk too fast to keep up with using a pen and paper.. if I weren't typing it all up, I would miss half the lecture. However, thedude110 brings up good points as well - I think, ultimately, it's up to you to decide which approach will be best for you.

As a general rule, though, I think it's safe to say that if you don't absolutely need portability, then go for a desktop. Usually you have faster processors, more space, more RAM possibilities.. BUT these advantages are somewhat cut down on the iMac, since it's not really a full-fledged desktop in the conventional sense (not as many RAM slots, mobile processors, HD bays, etc). I still would probably consider the iMac a better bang for your buck, though, so the rule still applies.
  6. cschreppel macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Boston, MA
    To repeat what some have already said:

If you absolutely need the portability, get the MacBook. I have one and I'm loving it. It's great for notes when needed, great for quick internet access or for that last minute paper revision. When I bring mine home every night, I connect it to my external display and run it with the lid shut on my desk's shelf.

Granted, I don't play games - I'm an audio engineer. So the MacBook runs programs like Pro Tools, Logic, Reason, etc. just fine for me. However, if you wanted to game, definitely snag an iMac. It still retains a bit more portability than conventional desktop machines due to it's all-in-one factor, but again, limited RAM slots, hard drive bays, etc.

If storage or having a ton of RAM isn't an issue, snag the iMac. But if you need the portability, which for some is more of a convenience than necessesity, get the MacBook.
  7. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    Thanks for your help guys! This has answered my questions tremendously.
  8. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Pen and paper are still the best note-taking applications I know of.

Go for the iMac!