Need Your Help MacRumors Legal Team!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Jan 16, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Ok, i am very pissed off right now and I would just like some input from some people. Let me tell you my story. As some of you may know, my parents own an Apple Authorized Dealer. We currently had a iBook stolen from our store. Me and my parents are very pissed and we believe it was an employee. Now we cant charge anything or do nothing without proof against someone. I think I know who it is. It is an employee who I have been told has stolen stuff from our store before, but we cant fire him because we have no proof and we dont want to get into some lawsuit or anything plus he is our only compaq certified person. Well I was taking to him on aim and he asked me a question that got me thinking. He asked me if i had a copy of virtual pc he could use. I said sure, but i only have a copy for mac. he said, yeah thats what i need. This guy hates f***ing macs with a passion. He would never own one, unless of course he stole one. From my instinct he is the one who took and i really think this because of the whole virtual pc thing. now i just cant walk into his dorm to see if he has one. anyone want to help me out with some bright ideas. i just dont know what im gonna do.

iJon

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

you might want to check ebay for ibooks for sale by someone in your area-im not really up on this stuff-just be careful whatever you do.

4. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

yeah at the cash register, not back service though. i think im gonna ask him to give me the specs of his computer or send me apple system profilers specs so i call tell him what version of virtual pc he will have to use. its worth a shot. i dont think he is the person to screw around on ebay, but ill check.

iJon

5. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well i tried asking him system info for installing virtual pc. he was very vague about it. i guess really all there is to do is for my mom to post a police report. he lives in the dorm so im gonna talk to the univeristy campus police. thanks for the help guys, i know there really isnt anything you guys could do. i just feel better talking to people on this site because there are lots of smart people here with brains. he will be fired before the end of the week though so i dont have to worry about it.

iJon

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

if he is dumb enough...get his password and IP address. the IP address shouldnt be hard at all if he is on a dorm connection. if you can ssh into his computer you can find any info you need.

7. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

wow, please explain, i know him very well , i talk to him all the time so getting an ip shouldnt be hard, the thing is he probably wont be on the mac. but anything will help.

iJon

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is there any chance your parents keep records of serial numbers on the computers they get in? i'm guessing that that's a ridiculous question, but if they do, they should be able to check on it and i think there's some service where you can find out if that computer is ever on a network... so even if he just sells it, you can get the person who eventually has it, and link it back to him... or find out that he didn't do it... but, other people would know better about these types of processes than i...

9. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

yeah we record evey serial when it comes in. I know how has the laptop, i know he has it, i know he walked out of our store with it. i just need to know how im gonna get it back, i dont think the cops will help because there is nothing they can do without proof. anyways, we know the serial and everything abou the computer.

iJon

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There's always the chance of figuring out his schedule and seeing if he takes the computer out around campus.

Then having someone walk up and ask him about the machine (a future convert ;) ) and doing a quick check of the serial if they're allowed to pick it up.

A couple hundred for putting the guy in jail might work, if you can get the machine back at the same time.

11. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

yeah that may work, the thing is he is a pc guy, i dont think he will use it but who knows, i think he is gonna work with a guy who used to work for us and sell it. i also found out today that some of our jaguar cds have been stolen and all of our 9.2 cds have been taken. this guy pisses me off so much, it just tears me apart knowing who has it and he lives in my small city and there is nothing i can do about it.

iJon

12. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

could you please explain these services if they do exist, i am still wondering how a network would even detect the serial number. i should probably try remember my applescript skills and try writing something, probably be to hard to make something that goes into the profiler, saves it, and emails it to me.

iJon

13. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

He lives in a dorm? Ask his roommate, or someone to ask his roommate to look into it when he's not there; if it's in his room, have the roommate call the police.

EDIT: search eBay for a whole bunch of 9.2 and Jag CD's coming from the same seller and place. Buy one under a different-from-normal user name, and have it shipped somewhere he won't recognize. When you get it, check the serial, and nail him.

Good luck!

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

and by the way...you need to report the laptop stolen with apple. they have all those things on file, and if anyone tries to register it with apple they can help you locate it.

15. vniow macrumors G4

Unless the roommate was in on it too.........

16. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

i was thinking of that, i just dont know how to find out who his roomate is, i guess ill have to go to the university and find out. my parents are alos gonna make sure his parents know.

iJon

17. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Man, I would confront him and just watch him. I mean really look into his eyes. I'm good at detecting liars. One false move and I'd whoop his ass.

18. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

as much as i would and want to but that would make things just worse, haha. we have come to the conclusion, we will report to the police, probably nothing we can do though, we have the serial, my mom is gonna call the people she knows in apple sercurity, we will buy the man a new laptop, fire the employee (thank god) and take tighter security measures. i gotta learn from this because this will be my store some day. thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it.

iJon

19. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

I have a question guys. I was looking through my old mac addict (april 2001). it has an article on how to forge an email to make it look like it came from someone else. i have a question for anyone who knows about this or has done this, if the reply, where does the reply go to. does it come back to you or does it send into space. if it does come back to me i could probably use this some how. if you guys would like me to write what the page says if you dont have macaddcit i will.

iJon

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

He stole a customer's computer?

The guy should be beaten, arrested, and sent to jail with a nice new "prison bitch" tattoo on his ass.

Don't be nice, send him to jail - restitution alone cannot equal the loss you suffered.

But a policy of aggressively prosecuting theft can make employees think twice in the future.

21. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

im sorry, did i not say it was a customers computers. anyways, yes it was a customers computer. yes it is wrong and very embarrasing, this has NEVER happened in the 17 years we have been open so we really have never took precaution. My mom is gonna go to the police station tomorrow and talk with a detective. I would love to send him to jail sun, but i dont have proof, every sign points to him but still no proof against him. some of the employees saw him walking out with a suspicioius box the other day, then my mom asked him about it and made up some weird excuse. i hope the cops can do something since he lives here in town and everything. i just cant wait till we fire his ass, boy i hope our other guy gets compaq certified and then we can fire him with ease. thats why i came here to seek legal advice of what legal actions i can take, i am assuming none since the only proof i have is "well i am positive he did, you gotta believe, please please please."

iJon

22. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

wait....

You are going to get him a laptop?!?

I would just tell him that you want to check out his dorm or something.

Or if he said something stupid, about stealing it, beat him down.

23. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Re: wait....

of course we have to buy him a laptop. although this has never happend it is still our responsibilty. we are looking for a replacement, if anyone is trying or wanting to sell their indigo (dark blue) ibook, let me know. you may have a buyer. now i kind of know how eric felt about his tibook on ebay. unfortunatly he was in college and now to many people in college have cash to throw around. luckily we have the finances to get this guy a new computer, but still makes us all mad that a person can steal a computer from a small busniess who puts food and shelter over this mans head while my parents are trying to put food on the table and roof over my head for me. i am a christian but people like this i develop a strong hate towards. the world is a f***ed up place and we just gotta deal with it and just hope for the best.

iJon

24. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Re: wait....

Damn, I have a Blueberry.[​IMG]

25. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You could just show up at his dorm, waltz in and reclaim the iBook.