Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
You really have to de-select all of the iPhone apps manually when syncing? Does anyone see a way to filter only iPad-native stuff, or are we going to have to wait for iTunes 9.2?

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Well, since all iPhone apps work on the iPad, I think most people will want all their apps synced, native or not. And that's probably what Apple was thinking.

yyoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
That's going to be a pain. I've got more many more apps than will fit on the 11 screens that Apple limits you to.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Why don't you deselect everything to sart and then only check the iPad apps yourself, since there are a lot less of them.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I was actually wondering about this very thing earlier today. I figured they had to give you the option to just sync iPad specific apps only.

I can't believe they didn't offer that option. Seems like an obvious mistake.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Why don't you deselect everything to sart and then only check the iPad apps yourself, since there are a lot less of them.

Well that's basically what I did, but note that there's no 'check/uncheck all' option that I can see, either, so you're still clicking through all of them.

(Posted from my iPad, btw, woo!!!)

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
Bad assumption I think. I have 1399 apps in my itunes. I keep a few hundred on my iphone. I only want ipad apps on my ipad with only a few that are iphone only. It took me almost 2 hours to go through all of them and manually uncheck all the ones I didn't want.

What made it worse is that I had already downloaded about 50 ipad apps in itunes. The only way to know which ones were for the ipad in the app check/uncheck sync list was to manually go to the main app list where it shows you which are ipad native and write all the names of the ipad apps down. I was then able to find them in the app check/uncheck sync list.

Ideally I would like an option for ipads to only automatically sync new ipad apps. The apps i download for my iphone 95% of the time I will only want them on the iphone.

This is the first release of itunes for ipad so I am sure they will improve this over time... I sure hope so anyway.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I just deleted all my iPhone apps after it synced them and haven't had a problem. I do have to say though the iPhone apps look absolutely horrible on the iPad I deletednthem all because I consider them unusable.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I didn't mind the initial sync. I actually wanted the apps I had on my phone t be on my ipad native or not. When I first plugged it in it asked if I wanted to restore from my iPhones backup. Anyone try this?

JazzFlight

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Bad assumption I think. I have 1399 apps in my itunes. I keep a few hundred on my iphone. I only want ipad apps on my ipad with only a few that are iphone only. It took me almost 2 hours to go through all of them and manually uncheck all the ones I didn't want.

What made it worse is that I had already downloaded about 50 ipad apps in itunes. The only way to know which ones were for the ipad in the app check/uncheck sync list was to manually go to the main app list where it shows you which are ipad native and write all the names of the ipad apps down. I was then able to find them in the app check/uncheck sync list.

Ideally I would like an option for ipads to only automatically sync new ipad apps. The apps i download for my iphone 95% of the time I will only want them on the iphone.

This is the first release of itunes for ipad so I am sure they will improve this over time... I sure hope so anyway.
There is an uncheck all option. I think if you click a checkbox while holding either ctrl or shift... one of those worked. Then I just added the apps I wanted. Hope this helps.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I just deleted all my iPhone apps after it synced them and haven't had a problem. I do have to say though the iPhone apps look absolutely horrible on the iPad I deletednthem all because I consider them unusable.

I was actually glad this works the way it does and not forced to loose graphics. I also like the ability to zoom if I desire too.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
Thank you!

There is an uncheck all option. I think if you click a checkbox while holding either ctrl or shift... one of those worked. Then I just added the apps I wanted. Hope this helps.

It is command and clicking on the checkbox, but thank you so much for this tip. I was going crazy having to click them all to deselect. :rolleyes:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I don't want all my iPod touch apps on my iPad. Wouldn't that turn it into a giant iPod touch? I want different apps on it. Some overlap but mostly different apps. Apple really hasn't thought this through very well. After connecting my iPad to my Mac and picking transfer purchases in iTunes, i wound up with 700meg of apps all run together. I would rather have folders organized by device. One with all my iPod touch stuff and one with all my iPad stuff and i don't mind one bit if there is some duplication.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.