Needed: Apple laserwriter 8500 service manual

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macEfan, Jul 15, 2006.

1. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
  2. RacerX macrumors 65832

It would appear that Apple is shutting down sites that supply service manuals. I'm not too surprised at this as the service manuals have always been something that Apple charged people for (as a posed to sites that redistribute information that Apple supplied to the public for free).

Odds are that there are mirrors of that manual out and about on the web, but odds are you won't find it on any US based servers.

I didn't mind paying Apple because I service systems for a living, and it never bothered me that there were copies that people could get for free because I figured those people needed them for their own equipment. From what I can tell, there were people who viewed this differently and reported these sites to Apple.

Sorry. :(

3. macEfan thread starter macrumors 65816

macEfan

so where is apple selling them?

I only see them on ebay, and I KNOW those on ebay are just people trying to steal the manuals and re-sell them..

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

There available through Apple's Service Source Program... which requires going through the technician training program.

As for why these sites are being shut down, posting these materials online goes directly against the Service Source agreement...
    Service Source Online Terms and Conditions
    1. Use of Information
    You understand and agree that all information, including third-party information, appearing on Service Source Online (“Confidential Information” or “Information”) is confidential and you agree to keep all such information confidential. During the term of the Agreement, you may access and download one copy of information appearing on Service Source Online for your personal use only. You agree to use Confidential Information solely in accordance with this Agreement. You agree to notify Apple promptly, in writing, if any Confidential Information has been used in any way which may violate this Agreement. You may not share, assign or transfer your access to Service Source Online under this Agreement.

2. Restrictions on Use of Confidential Information
    You shall not reproduce, distribute, sell, publish or in any other manner disseminate any Confidential Information, or participate in, assist or allow any such reproduction, distribution, sale, publication or other dissemination to any person or entity unless authorized in writing by Apple or the copyright owner if Apple does not hold the copyright to particular information. Without in any way limiting the foregoing, you agree that you will not post any information or material from Service Source Online on any bulletin board, the Internet, any local area network, or any similar mechanism. You agree that you will not, either during or after the term of this Agreement, directly or indirectly divulge to any third party any Confidential Information posted on Service Source Online or any other information not generally known to the public.

I'm not sure of any other way around this... and I'm pretty sure that the language of this agreement hasn't changed since I first got involved (1999).

5. macEfan thread starter macrumors 65816

macEfan

thank you for another reply.

Is there any chance whatsoever that I could become a technician?

I know my way around old macs, and have fixed PB duos, mac II style macs, laserwriters, and Powermacs, up to the PM g4's..
    I know how to add ram/drives to apple laptops/desktops..

I don't know If Im just being silly, but I could really use the laserwriter manual, and I don't know how else to get it :D

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, if you are asking if I think you'd make a good Mac technician... from what I've seen the answer is an absolute "yes". On the other hand, the cost of certification is more than a LaserWriter 8500 is worth, so doing it for just this piece of equipment wouldn't be worth it.

As for finding the manual online, I would try an English, Australian or even German Google search. You would most likely have a better chance of finding the manual in a search outside of North America. I would guess that someone has got a mirror of it out there.

7. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

I have got it here on my desktop, 20mb PDF! Where are you? send me a PM.

8. macEfan thread starter macrumors 65816

macEfan

thanks eveyone, I got the file!

I'll let you know if the laser printer works... when I get it tomorrow :)

9. briangascoigne macrumors newbie

laserwriter 8500 service manual

Mine's chewing paper and I'd love to get this pdf if anyone would be kind enough to send it. Regards Brian Gascoigne

brian@gascoigne.demon.co.uk

10. Jeffntosh macrumors newbie

11. AusMac macrumors newbie

Yes, please!

Hi Jeffntosh!

My daughter's LW 8500 is in need of some TLC. I would greatly appreciate a copy of the manual, thanks! I'm at corbis@bigpond.net.au.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Have a hunt around other sources on the internet if you need to find something like this. The world wide web is not the only service available on the internet *hint hint* (and no I am not talking about torrents or P2P).

13. gary02140 macrumors newbie

Send me a copy, too, please

Hi, Jeffntosh,

Would you send me a copy of the the Laserwriter 8500 Service Manual PDF as well? I am at gary02140@gmail.com. Thanks a lot in advance!

14. poodlebra macrumors newbie

Bust gcc eliteXL

i believe the laserwriter 8500 is the same as my GCC EliteXL 20/600, which has a poorly manual feed. sounds like a broken solenoid on the paper pick-up. a copy of the service manual would be greatly appreciated before i start yanking it all apart.

poodlebra@gmail.com

many thanks in advance