Needing a Remote Solution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jkaz, Jun 10, 2005.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm trying to setup an low-experience computer user up so that I can remotely control their iBook from 100 miles away.

I'm all set up at our main office with broadband, multiple apple computers, etc.

The remote office will consist of an iBook and an all-in-one fax/scan/copy/print machine.

iChat for audio and text chat will be main tech suppport, but when the user has trouble with anything past verbal explanation, the functionality of Apple's Remote Desktop will be needed.

Am I correct in thinking that I will be able to control the remote computer, 100 miles away, through our broadband internet to their dialup connection?

How secure will this be and how difficult to set up?

Can I use and older version of RD?

Are there any less expensive pieces of software that I could pursue?

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Your broadband connection is irrelevant if they're on dial-up - you're stuck with their speed (or lack thereof). iChat will work fine in text mode, but audio will not be great or even good. Any chance of the off-site worker using a cell phone to call while online (assuming dial-up is not a changeable option)?

Any sort of remote control (e.g., VNC, etc.) will work only in geological timeframes.

4. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, let's scrap the dial up then,

same questions as op

thanks!

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Use that link e provided - you can control a device remotely for free, and you can do it securely via SSH. It's best to set it all up in-house as opposed to while the user is already remote, just to make sure it works.

6. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried following the directions on that link, but got stumped.

i think the terminal session is right and i got the dns right, but got last after that point

any ideas?

i'm starting to think i might need to shell out the 300 for the ard