NEFs = very slow on G4-iMac /G5iMac quicker??

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by viento, Apr 23, 2005.

1. viento macrumors newbie

Hello mac-users,
    my 17-TFT 800Mhz iMac seems o be rather slow in opening Nikon NEFs from my Nikon D2H cam. The mac has got 768 MB and a 250 GB HD.

Maybe someone can compare it with one of the newer Macs like the G5 iMacs or even the powermacs with double processors.

thanks for sharing your experience!

viento

2. fallerg macrumors newbie

I think your 250MB harddrive might be one of the factors in your computers slowness :D

sorry couldnt resist

3. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

don't the iMac G4s have USB 1.1 ports? if so that might explain the slowness.

4. viento thread starter macrumors newbie

NEFs nerving

thanks for your answers!
    I´m sorry but both dont hit the nail :

The hard disk is a Hitachi 250 GB(>not MB off course!!) 7200 8MB HDS722525-VLAT80, one of the fastest HDs available.Only the "raptor" runs a bit faster(10000 RPM) but has a poorer capacity of 80GB.
    As for the USB type: this doesn´t bother me at all because with the speedy firewire connection of this imac the files rush into the computer at a satisfyingly speed.
    What keeps me waitig is the time of opening those Nikon NEF files in PS-CS as well as in Nikon Capture Editor (or in Nikon View)
    There is no problem with JPEG files except their somewhat lower quality compared with NEFs.

Have a nice weekend :) :D

5. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

I have an iMac G5 and use a Nikon D70 and Nikon Capture... I haven't used Capture in great depth nor NEFs, so I don't have much experience; however:

1. Capture hasn't been reported to be the quickest app...

2. You might want to check-out www.nikonians.org - there's a board related to software (Capture comes-up frequently).

Good luck,
    Frank