Negative Money

Discussion in 'Community' started by themadchemist, Sep 10, 2003.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

This idea just popped in my head...I frankly think it's pretty stupid, but might make for an interesting conversation. I thought I'd throw it out there and see if it piqued anyone else's interest.

What if we had negative money. For example, a $-2 dollar coin. So, if you owed someone two dollars, that person could just give you a $-2 dollar coin.

Obviously, this turns the entire basis for a monetary system on its head, which is why I thought it was interesting...The idea that you profit by giving people currency, instead of by receiving it.

...And think of it being backed by a standard. What would be the standard for negative money? Enron/WorldCom stock? The plague? Subsaharan Africa?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ha ha, that's pretty funny. no problem with counterfeits, i guess.

credit card is sort of a timed negative money...

i think the problem is that it's not useful on its own. it can't be used "actively," it can only be used in reaction to others...

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

arg

Can't we all use IOU's and all get along fine?

:rolleyes:

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i get the feeling that people's change-jars would become dumpster fodder before long... i don't think i'd be holding onto these :)

interesting enough thought tho, for the theoretical aspect...

pnw

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

So the goal would be to have no money then. Then there are no more homeless, and the economics would be very odd.

*Idea for Star Trek Alien Race springs into Head... Need to Call Berman and Braga*

Sounds like the aliens in Star Trek that age backwards... wierd to us, normal to them.

TEG

6. Mblazened macrumors regular

people would just throw away their negative money, and therefore lose their debts.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We could always go for a barter system. Trade products and services!

Maybe it would amount to negative taxes! :p

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wouldn't this negatively charged money sort of wipe out any positively charged money you have in your wallet?

I had a $105 in my wallet, and then themadchemist gave me a $-100 -- now all I have left is $5.

You could also feed in $-10,000 to and ATM and really piss everyone off if it's a holiday weekend.

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think we should go back to the pure barter system no money...thats the way to go..

11. job macrumors 68040

job

I'll give you my right speaker for 2GB of your hard drive...errr... :p ;)