Negative ratings on MacRumors articles

Discussion in 'Community' started by Westside guy, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Do you ever read the MacRumors front page, and wonder why there are always at least a few negative ratings on every story?

There are some stories where it's understandable that some or most people would have a negative impression; and other stories where you expect some negative ratings because opinions are obviously going to be diverse. But am I the only one who thinks that there are SOME people who would give a negative rating to a story announcing true Middle-East peace, or the end of world hunger? :confused:

Just had to get that off my chest. :D

P.S. Yay Pistons!!

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you make a good point. some people are just born bitter I think. full on pessimists.

3. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

If I don't like it, I'll rate it negative. With all the people who come through this site it seems impossible that you could ever have a story that didn't have at least one negative because someone will ALWAYS not be happy with a rumour/story. Apple doesn't and shouldn't demand 100% satisfaction in all cases, its normal to see need for improvement or be unhappy with what apple might or is offering.

Doesn't mean that I'm a negative person or I was "born a pessimist" ha. It's far weirder to assume that people should be generally positive about the stories that come through this site. To say that if someone rates some vague not even certain mac rumour negative they were "born negative/a pessimist" reflects badly on your part :rolleyes:

4. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

simple answer...

Dont rate them....or even look at the rating...I know i dont :rolleyes:

5. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I have noticed others who have been confused by the ratings and may have entered a vote by mistake. For example, one person mentioned that they thought that by clicking on negative they would be linked to reasons for negative ratings. Others may vote negative based on the parties involved in the rumor rather than the rumor itself, such as a dislike for Microsoft or Motorola. Some also vote based on a doubt of the veracity of the rumor rather than whether or not the rumor is good for Mac users. Still others vote based on the perspective of other stakeholders such as shareholders.

6. iBook macrumors regular

Interesting topic. I've wondered about the rationale people use sometimes for the ratings -- and you can't tell who voted how from their posts.

The one thread I always remember was the one discussing Apple's announcement that it would be shipping the new G5 PowerMacs on time. The number of negative posts surprised and, frankly, puzzled me -- given the positive nature of the news.

7. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I rarely bother to rate stories or look at the ratings, but I have clicked negative at least once by accident. So although there will often be at least some people with a negative view of the story, some will definitely be by accident, or mis-understanding of the system

8. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

What's more depressing is when someone responds to a post without apparently reading most of the post. :D

(it's mostly a joke; lighten up)

9. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

There are also people who give a negative rating just to make you scratch your head. :D

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I hit negative accidently a couple of times back in the day. I haven't really noticed either way lately though.

Sometimes people just suck... :)

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The negative ratings don't necessarily reflect disapproval; rather, they often reflect distrust. If someone announced that Apple was going to release a Dual 6 GHz G5 tomorrow, there would be negative ratings not because people didn't want a Dual 6 GHz G5, but instead because people knew it couldn't happen.

Similarly, I would suspect that there would be a number of negative ratings on an article pronouncing peace in the Middle East or an end to world hunger. Why? The article probably isn't accurate.

I don't use the ratings much at all, but they do reflect not only on this community's opinion of a certain situation or circumstance, but also on this community's opinion of the veracity of a particular source of information. This is especially important given the number of sources of rumors that we read on MacRumors. For example, I bet something from MacOSRumors, no matter how interesting or appealing, would get a large number of negative votes based on the track record of that site.

What makes this all problematic is the fact that negative votes are used both to express dislike of the actual content and trust placed in the source or the information itself. This muddles the picture and reduces the utility of these ratings.

That's why I don't think many people pay attention to the ratings. They just aren't that informative. Now, if we had two ratings, one for approval of the content and one for trust in the source, maybe they'd be more useful.

Then, you could say, "Well, I'd LOVE to see peace in the Middle East (or a Dual 6 GHz G5) and if this article were right, that would be great...But as far as actually placing stock in the truth of this article, I'm going to have to go the other way...I just don't see this wonderful thing happening any time soon."

12. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Whenever I click either, the page reloads and nothing changes...... just me? Or does the rating system take a while to count my vote?

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There are also those that get confused when they are voting and either vote for the wrong candidate and/or leave a hanging chad.

We'll have to provide a much simpler voting mechanism for these people.

Something along these lines...

[​IMG]

14. iBook macrumors regular

That's what happens when I try to "rate" an article. Am I doing something wrong? Do you have to have x number of posts to your credit before a vote will register?

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think it just takes a while for your vote to register. If the site were updated after every single vote, it would slow to a crawl. The same way there are often "0 comments" on a particular story, then you click on the story and there are already 7 or 8 comments.

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Bwahahaha!! :D That's great...

Oh, and be sure to give this thread a one-star rating! :p ;)