Neighbor Needing Advice - iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by HelixOmnimedia, Jan 18, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hey,

Help me, help him...

I just found out a couple of days ago that my neighbor has a Mac, and he found out that I had a Mac... so he started asking questions. I've answered most of them, but he needs advice about hardware.

He has a: iBook G4, 768 MB DDR SDRAM, 1.33 Power PC Processor, Mac OS Version 10.3.9

He needs advice about upgrade of Hardware and Software... but I said that its probably financially better to just buy a new laptop - a MacBook. But I'd like to check with people who know better than me.

THANKS

2. macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well it all depends on what he want to do. Is he just a basic user like just checking email and so. The first thing I would do us upgrade to 10.5 and up the memory. Also what size HDD does he have?

3. macrumors 65816

Batt

Actually, depending on his HD size and how much is on it, an upgrade to Leopard is all he needs.
    I think it will only hold 1.25 GB of memory, which is easily done, but a hard drive change is likely to be difficult. I just upped to a MBP from a 1.42, 768MB, 80GB HD 14" iBook running Tiger. The only reason I upgraded is because I could. Gave the iBook to my daughter and she's happy as a pig in stuff.