Neil Armstrong: Support Bush's space plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by idkew, Mar 14, 2004.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Link

Neil Armstrong: Support Bush's space plan

Sunday, March 14, 2004 Posted: 1:40 AM EST (0640 GMT)

HOUSTON , Texas (AP) -- Former astronaut Neil Armstrong says Americans should support President Bush's plan for renewed missions to the moon and beyond.

Armstrong said the plan was economically sustainable and that the country must accept the risks associated with space exploration in order to reap technological rewards.

"Our president has introduced a new initiative with renewed emphasis on the exploration of our solar system and expansion of human frontiers," Armstrong told a crowd of nearly 600 people Thursday.

"This proposal has substantial merit and promise."

He was in Houston to receive the Rotary National Award for Space Achievement.

Armstrong, 73, commanded NASA's Apollo 11 mission in 1969, becoming the first person to walk on the moon.

In 1971, he left the space program to pursue a teaching career in aeronautical engineering in his native Ohio.

Armstrong said the success of the Bush's space plan depends on whether the government, aerospace industry, researchers and others can unite behind it.

The Bush White House wants to return to the moon and eventually send astronauts there by 2020, and to Mars -- an effort that would cost hundreds of billions of dollars. Some lawmakers have questioned proposed costs and risks.

"Our economy can certainly afford an effort of this magnitude, but the public must believe the benefits to society deserve the investment," Armstrong said in Friday's edition of the Houston Chronicle. "To limit the program in the name of eliminating the risk is no virtue."

President Bush has proposed that the space shuttle stop flying in 2010 and that the remaining shuttle flights concentrate on completion of the International Space Station and research.

----------

interesting to see Armstrong voice his opinion. i would weigh his opinion heavily though, as i think he knows a bit about the value of going to the moon and beyond.

fwiw- i think i saw that glenn doesn't like bush's plan...

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm usually big on space exploration, I really am...but we are to ****ed up at home right now I don't really see this as a priority.

The federal government is tightening the budgetary noose on the states, we still don't have health care for all, we're actively trying to stop people from saving money on prescriptions by buying from Canada, corporate lobbyists are helping our own government decimate the middle class, we've still got a war on terror to fight at home, we're trying to get out of Iraq, people are losing their jobs right and left....

Lotsa better places to spend our money right now. Sorry, I wish I could be more supportive.
    :(

3. Opteron macrumors 6502

I think bush sould concider cutting back on spending, and invading other countries if he's even hoping at spending another term in the White House.

Then again he may have relaised that he's on the way out and may as well spend as much as he can before he leaves.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree and have allways been big on Space but we have so many darn problems caused by this latest administration we need to get our house in order before chasing grand dreams.Health care is one reason companies are running overseas.
    I still think we need to be doing a lot more when it comes to looking for asteroids & comets. I cant think of a better way to get all of the countries together then to implement a program to look for and to be able to divert a earth crossing body. we have to vote out this Fiscal Liberal we elected :rolleyes: he has done a great job at growing the govt and growing the debt. I cant back his space dreams for now.

5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I'm normally very anti-Bush...but on this I support him. If Bush can unite people behind this common goal, a lot can be accomplished. And its not just space exploration. Plenty of new technologies would come out of such a venture that could be applied in a variety of down-to-Earth ways.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Military and space are the two industries that pump new technology into the economy, of course it would be nice to see the space industry pumping more into the economy than the military right now -- but with the current budget constipation in space, we've been getting quite a few more military gizmos the last decade than space gizmos.

But with the last real space expansion effort it almost seems like we'd be comparing Tang to the GPS mapping in the Camry and finding Tang lacking in flavor and marketing glitz.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Would going to the moon again really give much in the way of new technology? We've done it before, and have managed to have people stay in space for over a year, so I don't think we'd gain much in technology there. Going to Mars though, that's something new, and would need much innovation to accomplish. Going to the moon first would be beneficial though, a sort of "practice run" if you will.

Now if we only had the money for this...

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Going to space is a very, very cool thing; it is the stuff of human dreams, and has the potential for great scientific discovery as well.

And, I sympathize with Armstrong's opinion; he's been there, he understands the dream, and this is the biggest chance in three decades to make something happen.

Unforunately, I have very strong reservations about the why of this sudden new push toward space. If it were merely showing off on an international scale, it'd be perhaps egotistical and ignoring the many earthbound problems within the US, but otherwise benign. However, I don't think that's the motive behind it.

I'll let the Project for The New American Century do the explaining for me:

http://www.newamericancentury.org/defense-20010802.htm

(New American Century, for those not familiar with them, are a think tank very powerful with the current US administration; they're endorsed by Rumsfeld, Cheny, as well as folk like Jeb Bush and Steve Forbes. You can read their policy statement yourself, but they're generally in favor of extending US power globally, primarily through military force.)

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree space exploration has provided us with the majority of our advanced medical technology. We certainly don't want to fall behind the rest of the world in technological innovation. If we waited till everything was settled at home we would never make any advancements technology.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

we have billions of dollars we just threw at Iraq, and we want to throw billions into a run to mars to discover that a microbe once lived there? We need to keep exploring granted but in a logical progression not just a once in a while jump only to forget about it as in apollo. Lets first make a way to space by building a much better vehicle then shuttle. then lets build on the space station as to make a better halfway house and then a way to get to the inner solar system. we have to build real technology that works not just some more artwork from Nasa. They have excelled at artwork & redesign meanwhile not a clue on replacing 30 year old shuttle technology or a way to high orbit. I guess they love using chemical rockets need i say more.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Common goals are great, but there are issues that need to addressed at home first. What about the goal of affordable housing for the working poor (otherwise known as the middle class)? How about affordable healthcare so that people see a doctor before they get too sick? What about the goal of securing decent jobs for all legal residents of the US? Or even better what about the goal of eliminating our need for oil?

12. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

these are reasons why i can't vote for bush. i agree with lots of republican ideas, but bush is not pushing where he needs to. we need lots more tax breaks for fuel efficient cars and other devices. we need to protect the environment, but we also need to explore and learn more. it is impossible to get everything.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think you have our "friends" in the PNAC pegged just about right. Only thing I would add is that we are signatories of a treaty that outlaws the militarization of the moon.

emphasis added

1967 Treaty on Outer Space

Of course, this wouldn't be the first treaty they have ignored.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

We had no idea as to what spinoffs there would be from our first space efforts. What we do know is that they changed the whole world, and created the first trillion- and multi-trillion-dollar economies.

(In passing: The federal budget was $400 billion when Carter took office; $700 billion when he left. At the end of Reagan's tenure it was $1.1 trillion. Now, $2.36 trillion is what I read in the morning's news.)

This new round of space exploration is a relatively small number of billions, particularly in the startup phase. "It's about time!" comes to mind, given the rather dilatory behavior on our part over these last two decades.

Always remember that the spinoffs, whatever they may be, will create new wealth for the entire nation. That creates more revenues to the feds. That helps toward getting back to a balanced budget, as well as enabling more social spending. It also leads to employment of many of those whose skills now being outsourced...

Besides, it's neat and exciting and romantic and all those human-factor notions. :) Heinlein, et al, would be pleased.

'Rat

16. Rebel macrumors newbie

Did we really go to the moon?

We can barely bring back our astronauts in today's high-tech craft. What makes you believe that the tin can we supposedly sent to the moon; really went?

Here are some questions to answer if you really think we landed on the moon:

The moon has very little gravity, yet when the craft was landing, and firing it’s many-psi-engines, there is no dust. Yet, when Armstrong jumps onto the surface, you see dust shoot up from his feet. Why?

The rovers they had zooming along the surface, are shooting plumes of dust into the air, and it falls back to the surface rather quickly. Why?

Where are the stars in the background of the pictures?

The Hubble telescope can clearly view the moons surface, why do we never see the flag that we supposedly left up there? or the rovers that we left?

Who was filming the landing and first walk? Don’t say it was remotely controlled, because they can barley perform this act in today’s modern environment.

Rumor is; China wants to send a man to the moon to prove that America never went. Can you imagine the shock waves through our society?

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is a joke, right? What kind of conspiracy theory have you swallowed - hook, line, and sinker?

18. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

Man, you need to stay off the drugs.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I support a plan to send Bush and his family to Mars. :D

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this particular conspiracy theory has been soundly debunked by (gasp) actual science. come back when you've done some real research and feel embarrassed for posting this.

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

:D:D:D

Part of the problem for some with trying to pass Foil Folding 101 is forgetting to keep the shiny side out.

'Rat

22. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Aha, so that's why Bush is so eager to get there now -- to plant the evidence!

Here's a fave of mine: http://www.reptiles.org/~madrev/Moon/Moonphoto.htm

As far as tax breaks for fuel efficient cars, I'd be happy if they would just repeal the SUV tax break. :rolleyes:

23. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

wasn't the suv tax break passed when people used their suv's to cart around tools and other items for work, and not when mommy wanted to show her neighbors she is rich and can afford a 12mpg vehicle, then cart around her kids in a vehicle that is twice the cost of a minivan?

i am very for a tax on fuel inefficient vehicles, and a tax break on LEV / fuel efficient vehicles. Charge/forgive $4000. "normal" vehicales get no charge or break. That might change some minds. I also like california's quota on alternative fuel cars.

anyway- back to space. i think that a lot of our problems can be solved by reducing our need for fossil fuels, especially oil. when we can produce 100% of our own energy, we can stay out of the middle east, and save some cash while we are at it. we would spend less time and money on environmental clean up of oil spills, emissions...

by switching to renewable, cleaner burning fuels, we may actually be able to pay for a lot of new exploration with the money once spent on oil.

24. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

go ask an indian (native american, to be pc, but incorrect) about the us gov and treaties. :rolleyes:

25. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

How is Indian more correct than Native American?