Neither AirTunes nor printer work over Airport Express. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Meyvn, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    Name basically says it all. I've tried everything in the Apple documentation, both in the booklet that comes with it and on the Apple website. The printer just 'stops jobs,' and won't print. iTunes doesn't even recognize remote speakers. there's no pop-up menu for them at all. Help?

Edit: Should multicast rate affect this?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    What sort of printer is it? You've probably already seen this article, but if you have an HP or a Lexmark, there are links at the bottom to lists of compatible printers. :)
  3. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    Yeah, it's definitely not an issue with printer compatibility. Even if it was, though, it happens with both the printer AND AirTunes. And frankly, I'm more concerned with AirTunes at this point.
  4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Make sure you have the latest firmware on Express - I had problems last spring until I updated to V6.2.
  5. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    APX was a pain for me. I am using a Mac and everything and it still took me an hour of installing and reinstalling and reconfiguring everything over and over until it magically showed up on my network, working like a charm everytime thereafter. Just complete this elaborate ritual and yours will work too, I'm sure.
  6. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    How can I check the firmware version?

Edit: Well, I've pinpointed at least the printer issue. The AE knows it's plugged into the printer, and so does my computer, but that particular printer is not showing up on my dropdown list, even though I have the drivers installed.
  7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    When you add a printer or select one, look under Rendezvous. As far as Airtunes, make sure that the speakers are pluged in, iTunes is off, and launch the Airport Bastation Admin, and check the Airtunes tab (I think it's the last one.) For ease, don't password it until you get it working.
  8. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    I did all of this before, and again and again. This is not a basic, "I forgot to check a box" problem.

Edit: The printer is simply not supported. I'm giving up on it for now. Any ideas on AirTunes? I'm using iTunes 6.0, OS X 10.4.3, and Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II (NOT the USB ones. The plain-old plug, which is compatible with AE. I've even known people who used them with AE, and had no problems).
  9. snowprof macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2005
    exactly the same problem

i actually bought a second express because i thought i had broken it. neither one will allow me to print. i'm lucky if my computer even recognizes that the express is out there -- and this is an off-again, on-again problem. when i bought the second express, i took it on the road, connected it to the hotel broadband and it worked perfectly as a wireless in my room. when i brought it home, expecting it to work perfectly with my printer, it wouldn't work. i have read everything i could find online about this. i have updated everything i can update -- at least as far as i know. i have paid a tech to come to my home to fix this, but he couldn't. i have carried both of my expresses to an apple store, only to be told that they work perfectly. at home, nothing. have tried different locations in the house, including sitting right beside my airport extreme, which has always worked perfectly. the printer works perfectly when connected by usb. going crazy. (pb g4, os 10.4.3, hp laserjet 1012).
  10. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    Well, I figured out something about my own solution: I reset it again and tried NOT using the Airport Setup tool program, and set it up manually instead. It worked like a charm.
  11. snowprof macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2005
    manual set up?

how do you set up an airport express manually. i know how to do the hard reset, but what after that?