Nemo's age ... Just found it!

Discussion in 'Community' started by AmigoMac, May 12, 2004.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Dear iFriends,

Just saw "Monsters Inc" with my wife and children, and guess how big my surprise was when we saw the little clown fish, NEMO, as an "Extra" in the movie, good move steve :) , whoever thought about that. gave a big Hint, a Pixar Trojan Horse :D , almost at the end of the mive, the little girl "Boo" is giving to the Monster - Sullivan, Think is his name" - the fish, look at the picture, see the movie again, is when the guy returns the kid to her room and she wants to play with him, first gives the friend of Woody , next a ball and then Nemo... see it again! :cool: :) :p :eek: ;)

Attached Files:

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

PIXAR-made:
    The only modern 'Disney' movies worth watching. Monsters Inc, I must say, is the best fun film i've seen in years cartoon or otherwise.

3. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

mmm!

Actually, what I meant was that Nemo was already there when they hadn't already finished monsters... wonder if someone saw that before... Should apple give me a prize? ... :D

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I know they announced it at WWDC last year. They also said that there was a tradition of reusing things like that. There was something from Monsters in Toy Story 2. Nemo has in the background a poster for the Incredibles.

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

You can also see a super-hero from the adventures (next Pixar Film) in Finding Nemo, next to Buzz LightYear. When I read the post name, I thought you ment Captain Nemo, who is from 20,000 leagues. I should have known to take the pop culture reference over the literary.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

This is different though. It's common place throught Disney movies period to find characters from the other Disney movies. For instance I believe in... Aladdin there are some characters from Beauty and the Beast. In the instance which is noted above however, Nemo appears in a movie *before* "Finding Nemo" came out. It wouldn't be terribly unique if "Monsters, Inc." came out after "Finding Nemo". It's because it came out before which makes it unique. Most likely they were working on "Finding Nemo" (I would imagine Nemo would have been one of the first models they made) and used the fish model in "Monsters, Inc."

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What was the Monsters reference in TS2? I don't remember that...

Also TS1 had a ton of references to older works, mostly the shorts that Pixar did before they got into full length movies. In the kids room, a lot of the books had the title names - don't remember which ones but they include TinToy, Luxo Jr., KnickKnack, Red's Dream...

D

8. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It was long before...

Between Monsters and Nemo, there is a big gap, Nice Eastern egg though, if it's a common case, then I have to see all the movies again, but nice thing you get these images, do we get kind of this stuff within our macs... about the next macs? :)

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Pixar (and all animators/studios) have been doing this forever....er, for most of the history of film at least.

Pixar has a TON of this everywhere in all their films. They also have A LOT of references to other works, as is also common practice for years and years.

People make references with their animation to works from the 1920's even to this day. Hell...I referenced works from the 1920's on a bit in my senior film. I'll post a link to it in a few months when I'm done with post-production.

10. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Also in Monster's Inc:

Background painting in Sushi resturant is of a nemo-like fish and an angler fish, eerily reminiscent of the angler scene in Finding Nemo

Also, when Mike and Sully and tossing Randall into the door at the end of the movie (just before he gets beat with the shovel) there's a fish mounted and hanging on the wall. Of course, its Nemo. (or Marlin, whatever)

I've watched Monster's Inc probably over 50 times. Seriously. I just play it in the background whenever I'm working. Inspiration at its best. Monsters has got to be the best Pixar movie ever.

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Also, if I recall correctly, the one-eyed guy from Monsters Inc can be seen scuba diving during the closing credits of Finding Nemo. There are a lot of fun little "easter eggs" in the closing credits of Nemo, if you take the time to watch the credits all the way through.

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

we're now subliminally being advertised to for the next pixar film! :p
    i hope the incredibles is as good as nemo.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Monsters is good, but so is Nemo - I don't think I'd be able to choose between them :D

Its hard to compare the two in a sense because they're both in totally different worlds - land vs. water. Animation style is different, technique is different, etc. Pixars ability to make Nemo's world so realistic was just plain amazing - the level of detail in every aspect almost mind boggling. Monsters was mostly in a city/building, so you're left dealing with minimal (compared to Nemo) organic bits. So the characters really shine. Nemo's characters are great, but don't have the range of movement that the Monster's do. Its mostly left up to the facial morphing.

Regardless, I loved them both :D

D

14. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I just think that Monster's Inc was a tidy'er story. Nemo had that strange double ending thing. (finding nemo, then rescuing the fish in the net) Still gives me shivers though when they all swim away on the back of Mr. Ray at the end.....but the comedy in Nemo was funnier. The turtles, Dory speaking whale....so funny. "Okay! Were going to have a great jump today!"

But when Sully has to say goodbye to Boo...heart wrenching!

Both very good movies. Pixar will be hard put to out-do both of those. But if anyone can do it, Pixar can.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But the story line is also what sets Pixar apart from the others...

all the effects in the world still won't make a movie do well in the theater - Final Fantasy being the best example there :D

One movie of interest this summer will be Sky Captain and The World Of Tomorrow

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/skycaptainandtheworldoftomorrow/

supposedly all shot on blue screen, everything else is virtual....

D

16. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Release date on this one has been pushed back to September 17th, 2004.

17. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

That is my absolute favorite part of the whole movie. So funny!

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't remember that line - what's the scene?

D

19. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Its the part where Squirt is giving Marlin and Dory "exit" insructions. It ends with Squirt saying "Rip it, Roll it, and Punch it!" which is just funny coming from some 4 year old.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah - I need to watch the show some more - I should have known that :D

I can't quote much - and the Ray at the beginning and end has that song that is just nutso! "And remember to keep your greater esophigial ganglia to your self...."

D

21. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I believe that is not Nemo, but Nemo's dad from the same movie. He looks a little too round and large to me.

22. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Oh god.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, you'll have to look over it again, closely - cause if he's got a 'lucky' fin - its Nemo. There doesn't seem to be a fin in the image, so who knows.

Now I'm going to have to go and check .....

D

24. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

OF COURSE its NOT Nemo!

Its just a clownfish Pixar threw in as an easter egg. Its not actually supposed to look exactly like Nemo...

Why did I even respond to this?

25. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Ok, I decided to take a closer look at this. I thought (from vague memory) that Nemo was much thiner than Marlin(his dad). So I naturally assumed that plump fish was Marlin, who was undoubtedly the star of the movie. I mean come on he goes all over that freaking ocean and all Nemo does is watch some humans in the dentist office. So I went looking and finally found pictures of the two.

Nemo
    http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0266...c.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Gould, Alexander

Marlin
    http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808405428&cf=pg&photoid=477337&intl=us

Now I carefully analyzed the differences, and determined the picture from Monster's INC. to be of Nemo. How do I know this?? Well it is that "lucky fin". It isn't because I can see it though, it is what it isn't covering up. Marlin's normal large orange fin would be covering up a significant portion of the middle white stripe. Nemo's doesn't.