neo office or open office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jan 27, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Anyone use neo office or open office?? Do they have a Mac OSX version?? How do they compare to Microsoft's Office??

Frank

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

NeoOffice is very nice, the latest version uses an aqua interface, which makes it just like any other Mac application. I've ditched MS Office completely for NeoOffice, and have not yet encountered any Office files I cannot open (and I get those all the time).

OpenOffice still requires X11 window manager to run, but you get updates faster (NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice, and usually stays one revision behind).

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Does Neo Office work on the new intel based Mac's?? I have a MacBook Pro.

Frank

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Oh yes. Works very well (uses a lot of virtual memory, but unless you're very pressed for HD space that shouldn't matter).

Just choose the Intel version when you download the application, and later when you download patches (there's not a universal version, but separate PPC and Intel versions):

Picture 1.jpg

5. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I'd go with NeoOffice, so you don't have to worry about X11

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Never used Open Office but I like NeoOffice as it can open files from Powerpoint, Excel, Word all in one program.

7. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Yes, Neo Office is just fine and will handle most things your likely to want to do.

8. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

However, it's not really fast in loading.
    I have a macbook with 1 gb ram, and loading neooffice seems to take forever. It's also one big app, in contrast to MS Office multiple programmes.
    It's better than paying the MS tax, though.

9. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

10. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

im using neo office, while i wait for my ms office disc to come in and i hate this thing, its slow and each file is ridiculously large 100+ kb for simple word files. but i shouldnt complain it is free......

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That's because it loads that 1GB or so into virtual memory... ;)

And, it's mostly on the first start-up after a reboot it's painfully slow, after that it's just fine... :)

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

13. redmeister macrumors 6502

ok pardon my ignorance (new to mac, used winblowz all my life) but with neo office i can open .doc files and then create files and save them as .doc and open them in microsoft word on an xp machine? is that correct?

if so, sweeeeet :cool: if not, then i'm gonna need some explanation on the difference haha

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Oh yes... :)

Technically, you don't need NeoOffice either, as TextEdit (which comes with your Mac) also can open/save .doc files, but that has some limitations, especially when there's lots of formatting and/or embedded images/clip art/media files.

15. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I use NeoOffice. As mentioned above it is not the fastest loading, but once it is open it works very well. Best of all you can forget about Microsoft. :)

16. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I've had NeoOffice on my PowerBook for a while in addition to MS Office. Side by side, I prefer NeoOffice. When I finally convinced my mom to go Mac, I loaded her MacBook up with NeoOffice (and a good haul of free apps and little shareware ones too). Considering this was my mom's first Mac, I didn't really want to hassle with X11 or have to get into Rosetta.

Now, my mom had to have access to a lifetime's worth of WordPerfect .wpd documents in addition to straight Word .doc files. NeoOffice opened them all like a champ. I also set her up with AbiWord as a backup incase NeoOffice corrupted anything, but so far she hasn't had any need.

To fight NeoOffice's slow startup, I just fixed it so it starts up whenever the Mac does, and got my mom to avoid quiting the app everytime she closes a document. Most of the time now, NeoOffice is just running quietly in the background. Whatever virtual memory it may be hogging doesn't seem to be causing any trouble for the rest of the apps, at least no visible problems.