neo office slowing down computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by savanahrose, Nov 29, 2006.

1. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I downloaded neo office today so I can see if I want to get microsoft office for my mac.

I liked neo alot (all those fonts, it was amazing) but it slowed down my computer. I deleted neo and it brought my computer back up to speed.

Can someone tell me if why and if they had the same problem and what I can do to get around that? I really would like to have it on my system to use. I really don't feel like paying 150.00 dollars for something I may not use all that much.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. bozigle macrumors regular

neooffice1.X

Well i had been running neo office on my imac G5 for some time.
    and just bought a old G4 iBook facing the same slowdown.
    I had to install neooffice/j in order to get a decent speed.
    so you might be better off looking for a /J version or a 1.X rather than the brand new 2.X.

bozigle

4. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

mad jew, right now I am at work so I dont have that information.
    All I can tell you it is the basic 20" Imac C2D 1gb ram 250 hd.
    Does that help?

Well i had been running neo office on my imac G5 for some time.
    and just bought a old G4 iBook facing the same slowdown.
    I had to install neooffice/j in order to get a decent speed.
    so you might be better off looking for a /J version or a 1.X rather than the brand new 2.X.

bozigle

Thank you for that information bozigle, I will look into that when I get home.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, check that it's the Intel version of Neo Office and not the PPC version running in Rosetta (if that's possible). You can do this by selecting the app (if it's in the Dock, press COMMAND as you click on it, or manually find it in the Applications folder) and pressing COMMAND-I. Under the title Kind, does it say Intel? :)

6. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I will check that when I get home, but I do know that I did click on the intel version of it. But who knows.

7. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

NeoOffice is a memory hog, check Activity Monitor and ensure you aren't swapping. When I had 512M in my system it slowed everything down opening Neo. With 2GB its downright speedy. I don't know where the elbow is, but I notice that day to day with Neo open (and everything else I run) I sit around 1GB active RAM so it may just push you over the edge.

If you're willing to put up with the ugly interface, the X11 version of OpenOffice.org has a smaller footprint, and should work well while allowing you to maintain the ability to use Neo.

8. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

It's slow on my macbook with 512MB, I typically shut everything else down while using it. It's a ram hog.