Neo????

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mattpol, Jun 20, 2002.

1. mattpol macrumors regular

I'm brand new to Mac OS X and the P2P program Neo.

Can anyone tell me how to work Neo?

Thanks!!!

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Neo

Download neo. Do as it says.

Go back to the neo mainpage and download the neo started kit. Follow the instructions, and neo is like a search program if you do it right....

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

First of all, I am assuming you found it on versiontracker.com (if not, that's where I got it). You should have the application and the starter kit on your computer.

Second, once you have downloaded both, install the Starter Kit folder where it needs to be located (there should be a short Read Me file with the package).

Third, open Neo and you are off.

Currently, I am new to Neo, as I have used Limewire for about a year now, and I plan to continue using it. But let me try and see what I can do.

When you start up, make sure that you have two windows: the regular search/results window and the hosts window. Once the number of hosts gets up there (say, around 50 to 100 minimum) start searching for files. You can either browse hosts, or you can be more specific and manually input your query.

Again, I am new to this, so I need to figure out some of the material a little more as well. The best of luck. :cool:

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm curious about Neo. i've been using LimeWire a bit and it sucks. it is so slow, and doesn't return many results in the searches. on my PC i've got Kazaa and it is awesome. i was just wondering how people are finding Neo? are you satisfied with it?

and is there a Kazaa for the Mac, so you can get directly on the Kazaa network?

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

No there is no Kazaa client for Mac other than Neo, which is actually a "shadow" client. This basically means it seaches for the IPs, indexes the files, and records them to your hard drive.

irmongoose

6. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Alright, so I got Neo and the starter kit. The starter kit didn't work at all, so I used this spiffy new broadband thing I've got going on and scanned the included IP ranges. WOW!!! This thing ROCKS when you get done scanning. I've got about 1000 machines to search with a few terabytes of info. It's not true Kazaa, but it'll do. I highly recommend it. It's better than AudioGalaxy, better than any of the Gnutella clients (Limewire, Acquisition), and better than anything else I've come across for OS X. It rules!

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

And what is this piffy new broadband thing you're talking about? I am interested.. the Starter Kit didn't seem to work for me either.

irmongoose

8. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I upgraded from Cable to ADSL, and it SCREAMS. That's why I said it was spiffy. That's all. ;) If you're up for scanning the IP ranges, I recommend scanning the Road Runner networks first. They have a great yield, and more online clients.

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Oh, right. Heh. And I thought you were scanning the IPs with some awesome new software... I wil take your advice and try scanning the Road Runner networks. Hope it works!

irmongoose

10. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Don't I wish... ;)

Anyway, I'm up to about 300,000 shared files with a few networks left to scan. There's got to be something good in there!

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

everyone thinks Neo is pretty good, eh? guess it's time for me to get it then!:D

12. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Welcome to the fold, brother. Maybe all of us NEO users should share IPs and start swapping all of our goodies! Just a thought... ;)