NeoOffice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobbieL, Jan 24, 2007.

1. RobbieL macrumors member

My first ever Mac just arrived, so just trying to load it full of applications.

For an MS Office equivelant, I've been looking at NeoOffice. It looks pretty decent, but my only concern is it compatibility. I've already started a Word document on my Windows machine, and was planning on finishing it on my Mac. Would NeoOffice read and open the Word document ok?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

NeoOffice worked perfectly fine with my Word and Excel documents. You should be good to go.

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Yep. I haven't had any compatibility problems either.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I personally hate it, but it certainly does the job - and for free to boot.

5. RobbieL thread starter macrumors member

What would you recommend in its place?

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

MS Office ;) Not that it's much fun under Rosetta. I'm greatly looking forward to the new version.

7. krestfallen macrumors member

krestfallen

there are tons of issues when you open an original .doc file. OOo/NeoOffice just can't read most of mine correctly (they are full of formations etc, not just plain text). but it does a good job - they aren't 100% correct but most of the rest is fine - just a few irritations.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Neo Office is a "port" of Open Office to the native Mac user interface. Because it is a port NO is always a version in back of OO. Sometimes OO will have better compatibility then NE but MS Ofice docs will mostly open just fine. Problems possably with speadsheats the use tons of macros and "tricks" but most normal stuff works fine.

I like OO because it's interface is identical on the several machines I use. OO works the same on Mac OSX, Linux, Solaris and MS Windows but it you are Mac-only then this does not mater. My experiance with OO is that it is near perfect compatability with MS Office

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

If it's just formatted text (no images / tables) etc. then TextEdit will open it.