Neoofice Impress presentation to iDVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by josta, Dec 20, 2006.

1. josta macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I would like to burn a cd or dvd to show my Dad my most recent Thesis meeting presentation when I go home for the holidays. I don't have much time to learn idvd as I leave in just a couple days.
    I think I have to export the Impress slides as jpegs, then transfer them into idvd.
    Any quick reviews on how to do this? Do I have to export each slide individually, or is there an easier way to do this? Also, I don't want the cheesy idvd background things to be there during the presentation. Have I just not gotten far enough through the set up of my idvd document to get through that?
    sorry for the lack of experience. I'm trying to get this done so I don't have to take my computer with me and I should have started working on this before now (obviously) :eek:
    Thanks in advance!

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I don't know how you can get export you slides as jpegs, but if you can manage that, then the rest is easy. You can create a slideshow with those jpegs in iPhoto and export it to iDVD.

1) Start iPhoto
    2) Create an album names, let's say "thesis"
    3) Drag and drop those jpegs on "thesis" and make sure the pictures are in the correct order.
    4) Hit slideshow button at the bottom. Play with settings if you want each slide to stay on screen for more than 3 seconds or add music if you'd like. You can "play" your presentation to see if you like it.
    5) Go to Share -> iDVD. iPhoto will create a thesis.mov file and place it in your Movies folder. Then iDVD will start itself with your movie already dropped on its DVD menu preview.
    6) Close iPhoto, you don't need it anymore.

7) Now you can change the theme if you find iDVD's default DVD menu selection "chessy". You'll see a drop down menu on the right hand side.
    8) Make sure you check the Project-info pane. You can get to it from one of the menu bar entries, but I forgot which one. I think the shortcut command-I will open Proejct Info pane. Now make sure it is NTSC if you live in the US, pick 4:3 unless your slides are in widescreen format, but I doubt it.

9) You can just hit the burn button now. You will get a video DVD with the menu you picked.

Good luck...

BTW, what kind of thesis is this?

3. josta thread starter macrumors member

Thanks theBB! I'll give that a shot. Do you know if there's a way to set the iphoto album to only advance when I hit some sort of "forward" button, say on the dvd player? I would like to talk my dad through my project, but its going to require quite a bit of stopping and explaing.

btw, the its an update for my thesis committe for my PhD in Molecular Biology :)

4. josta thread starter macrumors member

duh. It just occured to me that I can use the puase button on the dvd player. :eek: I love simple solutions!

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I'd never think my parents would be interested in my PhD defense presentation. They must be quite geeky. :)

6. theman5725 macrumors 6502

You actually use NeoOffice Impress? Mine always crashes or goes really slow. :/

7. josta thread starter macrumors member

My dad loves hearing about science. It takes him back to being in college.

I made the presentation before I got my MBP while I had Office. I have already used my 30 day trial of Office, so have been trying Neooffice. I'm trying to wait till the UB version is released so I don't have to buy similar software 2 times in a year...but we'll see if I can last that long! Overall it doesn't crash on me that much, and I have it set to save every 5 minutes just in case.