NERO is out, Recode supports 640x480 AVC!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mark-itguy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. mark-itguy macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2007
    FYI for those who like to use NERO Recode [part of the NERO 7 Suite] to rip video or DVD's they personally own into the AVC format for playback on an iPod 5G or 5.5G. Recode has been able to encode to the original 320x240x768 AVC spec for some time, but this week the new update has a preset for 640x480x1500. You have to select unsorted profiles or something like that on the top pull-down, and the bottom pull-down only has one choice.

True, it looks no better on the iPod itself, but it does look better if you plug your iPod into a TV with the A/V cable set, or if you watch the movie on the PC with QuickTime...

Just an FYI. There are many ways to do this, but for those of us who use NERO Recode [a Windows product], we have been waiting many months for this!
  2. kyrunner macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2007
    Since the apple tv is coming out I wonder if HDTVAVC would be a better setting,for viewing on a HD TV.Have you done any test to compare the new ipod setting to HDTVAVC?
  3. mark-itguy thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2007
    I have not done any tests like that for their last few releases. I can say though, that as of about 3 version back, [November time frame], none of their presets, MPEG-4 or AVC, would work on an iPod; Unless it was one of the two presets under the Apple Video profile.

It used to be that the NERO Video profiles, even when all of the other specs matched, would not work on an iPod 5.xG. And it probably also means the Apple TV would not like what ever the subtle difference in the NERO Video profiles is. If I do get an Apple TV, that would indeed be an interesting test!
  4. kyrunner macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2007
    I will Have appletv tomorrow so Ill do some seem to know allot about nero can you shed some light on what the different formats mean like HDTVAVC Is that setting for playing on a HD-TV.
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Presets might not have worked, but I've encoded lots of stuff, including 640x480 MPEG-4 using Recode2. As I recall the only thing you needed to do was check the Quicktime compatibility box.

6. mark-itguy thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2007
    As best I can understand their mindset, they tout "NERO AVC" almost as if it's their format, they they don't blatantly try to act like they invented it. They have the profiles, presumably, for the specific uses the name of the format implies. They have a logo, and say these formats are supported by devices that bear their logo. Almost like DivX has a logo and that logo on, say a DVD player, the device can play the files in the matching format.

The first few versions did not have the iPod presets, but gained them sometime about a year ago or so. The original two presets were AVC 320x240x768 and MPEG-4 640x480x2500, and both worked just fine on an iPod 5.xGen aka "Video iPod". The big deal now is the addition of AVC 640x480x1500.

If I am correct in understanding the meaning of their profiles, only the iPod presets are of value to me, as I do not have a device, such as a DVD player, bearing their logo. Not to mention they do not work on an iPod.
  7. mark-itguy thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2007
    That went away a while back when the product went to presets only, and lost the ability for manual settings. [They update their products about every 3 to 8 weeks]. In every test I tried though,it would not sync to a 5.xGen iPod.

Once they came out with the iPod presets,all worked, albeit we have to wait for them to make the presets for new formats...
  8. Bressler macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2007
    IIRC, if you look at the video parameters, HD translates to 1080p and cinema translates to 720p. Since Apple TV does not currently support 1080p, cinema would be the right setting.