Nervous about my driving test

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikemodena, Nov 20, 2005.

1. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

On Wednesday, I'll be taking by license test, 16 question writing (which I have no problem with at all) and then a driving portion. I'm a pretty good driver, and I went to driving school and have gone driving with them, actually yesterday I went up to the location and took 3 practice tests on possible routes and passed all of them. I know that I should pass, even my instructor from the driving school said to relax because he knows I'll pass but I can't help but be nervous about it. Anyone have any stories to help me chill? :cool:

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Sounds like you've got nothing to worry about (which you know).

When I took the test, my driving instructor and the cop spent the whole time checking out hot chicks walking down the street. I doubt either of them payed the slightest attention to what I was doing. When it was all done I kind of wanted to find them (the women) and thank them for helping me pass. :)

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hmm... know your weak points and don't psych yourself out when s/he asks you to execute those actions. Just remind yourself that you've done that same task before and you had no problems...

My weakness? Unaided left turns. :eek: My only two mistakes on the driving portion was my lack of confidence in executing three unaided left turns my examiner made me do. Hee. By the third one, he just up and yelled, "Turn now!" Haha. Lucky for me, I had noticed his last name was Italian and made slight chit chat about his Italian heritage. And because he seemed to enjoy being able to converse as if he was a decent human being (instead of an evil DMV employee), he only marked me down for two mistakes. :p I'm sure it didn't hurt that I was a young lady.

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Hmm... based on both devilot and my experiences, it seems DMV employees/State troopers (depends on the state, I guess) are easily swayed by the female form.

I suggest bribing them with Playboys. ;)

5. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

The thought of backing in on a test makes me a little nervous, but I'm able to do it just fine.. I had a really good driving school teacher. The thing about where I'm going to take the test it it's on the Boston Post Road in a small town about 30 mins from where I live.. so yesterday was the first time I've really been there to see what the roads are like. The post road speed limits change a lot, so I gotta keep an eye out for that.. another thing is there is a two way road that goes under a bridge, but the bridge can only fit one car, so you have to honk before you go under, and honk while you're under or you fail. It's the thought of small things like that that worry me.. otherwise I think I'll be ok..

Another thing... anyone ever have a dream where you're trying to move but you can't or you do really slowly.. that's what pops into my head whenever I think about the test, I feel like I'm not gonna be able to stay at the speed limit or do something to mess up, but I gotta keep reminding myself that when I went up there with the driving school I was able to do it flawlessly.

6. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Ah, it's nothing too much to worry about. I actually failed twice ( :eek: ), but persevered and got my license (you can always try again...at least here). Frankly, I found driving around with an instructor during drivers ed. to be more stressful than the actual test.

7. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

I feel for you dude. I was so nervous before my driving test.
    I know it sounds like an old record, but just treat it as a normal driving lesson - keep calm and focused and you'll be fine!

8. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Yeah, in CT you can take it again after 30 days if you fail. I just need to pass this test because my mom has to wake up my baby sister everymorning at 7AM to take me to school, along with bringing me to activities while trying to balancing out work, so it's definately gonna take some pressure off her..

I took my car out driving today with my aunt to my dad's house (In CT, you have to get your permit on or after your 16th birthday, i got mine on my birthday in july, then wait four months if you attend driving school, 6 months without, and then take your test... with your permit you can drive with a licensed driver over 20) and driving my car felt so good.. such a feeling of independence. It's not the greatest car, a 1993 hyundai elantra with 80k miles for $800, but I've gotten pretty attached to it, I put a new system in it--cd player that glows blue, blue speakers, blue and black seatcovers, and blue LED tubes so the floor lights up blue at night. I really can't wait to take it out and just be able to drive by myself :D :cool:

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Just take a deep breath, don't hit anyone, and you'll do fine. :D

I got a 75 on my driving test because I waited too long to cross the street.

Then, I made fun of him, and he threatened to fail me.

Good times, good times.

10. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

We don't go by numbers, you can get 4 out of 16 wrong on the written, and if you get 3 minor things wrong on the road test you fail, or if you turn from the wrong lane, turn into the wrong lane, forget to signal, or any other significant mistake you fail right there.

.. Why did you make fun of him? :confused: :D

11. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

If you run into trouble, which I doubt you will, you could try taking the test in another town...worked for me.

*shifty eyes*

...small towns here, though, so I ended up getting the same tester in all three towns. :rolleyes: :p

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

...he started it!

I forget exactly what happened, but I do remember asking him if he worked for pizza hut delivering pizzas after he gets off work.

...he STILL started it!

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haha, too slick, Katie, too slick. ;) Actually, we did away w/ the percentage for passing/failing. Now you just gotta get by w/only x number of minor mistakes (there are still automatic fail mistakes, though).

14. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I'm starting to feel better about it, my driving school teacher said I'd pass and he is almost dead on with telling who will pass and fail, along with that I know a lot of horrible drivers that have passed on their first try, and I'm a pretty decent driver.

15. Cfg5 macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry too much about your test.

That sucks that you have to wait 4 months to get your permit, where I live you just have to log 40 hours of behind the wheel until you can take your license test.

16. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Yeah, the 4 months have been tolerable though, and driving school was well worth the $400 because I really learned what's expected of you on the test.

17. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

If it makes you feel any better, I passed and got my license on Thursday. I know you'll do great. If you had a teacher, you're better prepared than most people.

Pennsylvania teens have a 70% failure rate on first try. My teacher has a 98% success rate with his students, first try.

18. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

don't think so much -- it's a problem when you're nervous i know

just do what you know is right ... make sure the tester is aware that you know how to behave behind the wheel of the car..

check your mirrors, check your speed <-- frequently

stay loose, i even joked with the tester through the test -- she was very nice ... i think she forgot i was taking a test

you'll be fine

edit: --- just think of all the idiots that past before you <- are you dumber then them? i doubt it

best of luck

19. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

heh i was nervous for my test too..... but when i was taking it i was asked to make a lane change but as i did some ****** decides to make a change into the lane i'm going into without singling.

i had to whip my car back into my lane, burning rubber with screeching tires, in order to avoid an accident. the dude sped of and im pretty sure i dropped a few f-bombs

but i passed
    :D

i think you have nada to worry about. good luck!

20. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

thanks everyone for the confidence building posts :D

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i took drivers ed through my school, i aced the written test, then we had range (basically parking lot driving) and then road driving sections to complete, i aced range, and on the road part i got one mistake.

once i completed the drivers ed, i got a wavier on taking the driving test because i ranked so high, and i had already aced the written section, only had to go in and get my picture taken, and license printed out.

but driving is easy, dont sweat it, just take it like its any other time that you are out and don't let anything pressure you and things will be fine.

two of my jobs have been the heavily driving type, and trust me, its not that hard to get your license really, some of these people that i see driving really shouldn't be.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm taking drivers Ed in school right now, my teacher said one of the most important things was to be confident.
    For example; When they ask you hand signals (If they do that over there) just say and do them quickly and without hesitation (just nail 'em Boom, Boom, Boom).
    Don't go; "Right....ummmmm...Left....ummmmm...Stop....."
    Act like you know what they want you to do, and don't repeat everything they say in question form (ie: Right??....Left??...Stop??)

I'm not sure if that makes sense, it would be easier to tell you rather than typing it out. :eek:

Just act like you've been driving your whole life, but don't get cocky, be very nice and polite to the examiner.

23. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I know exactly what you mean.. we don't have to do hand signals here, but I was told everything else about being confident, and I feel pretty good about this test.. just anxious till Wednesday gets here :D

24. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Don't worry about it. The written portion was really easy for me. I failed the driving part the first time (I blame it on the instructor, he thought it was a 60-mph, well it was a 50-mph, long story), but I passed it easily the second time. No worries

25. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I bought Need For Speed Most Wanted on Friday to help pass the time and take my mind off it.. it's such a sick game, and I did find myself looking for a NOS button while I was on the highway today ;)