Nervous about Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hcuar, Apr 25, 2005.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I've been reading some of the posts about people using Tiger. I must say that I'm a little bit nervous about getting Tiger this week and installing the OS.

So... Is anyone else worried about how the new OS will play with their Macs? It just seems that I've seen quite a few problems posted with Tiger.

How many people are using Tiger with zero problems?

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I have pre-ordered it, but i think i will wait for the weekend to install, not that I have much at stake, I will back up all my work to cd/dvd first.
    Still, i think 24 hours is a long time these days!

3. Androit macrumors member

Really? I thought there were a surprising lack of problems. Besides the amount of people who have it right now is very very small so that doesn't make a very good test pool to show us what actual problems there are that aren't specific to an individual's setup.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I wouldn't be too nervous. I've been using Tiger for about 48 hours and heven't noticed any problems...yet. ;)

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

just archive and install... and hope you have backups of the VERY important stuff just in case. I have three hard drives and an iPod that I backed stuff up on and ended up deleting it just a bit ago because everything went smoothly on my install.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm pretty sure I'll have zero problems... but I haven't gotten it yet. I still have 2 weeks before finals so plenty of time for me to "play."

Though I'll probably end up failing calc... *grumble*

anyway, I'm installing it via archive and Install with preserve users checked. I'll probably have problems with my wacom tablet and I'll have to reinstall my printer and Palm stuff. Other than that I hope it goes smoothly.

7. iBunny macrumors 65816

I just play around on my iBook for fun and stuff anyway. No real work. so If it dosnet all work right, oh well no biggy ;)

8. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Yeah... wacom is pretty slow with driver updates. Mine is broken and it makes me really angry. Though the mouse will *work*, I am unable to change the rate that it moves... and it's going at a crawl... So I'm using my logitech mouse from my PC for the time being.

9. mms macrumors 6502a

Just back up, back up, back up.

If you have backups or your stuff elsewhere, then anything can happen and you can still come out fine with relatively little hassle. Other than that, just remember that so far we haven't heard of any major problems with Tiger and that Apple does not ship software with a million bugs, like some other software company we all know.

10. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Bring it on!!

I'm not nervous at all about Tiger. I'm on edge actually waiting for it. I'm going to do a final backup of all my data to my external hard drive when Tiger ships then I'll be ready to install Tiger when I gets here. I'm going to format my hard drive and do a clean install.

11. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

i hear 10.4 breaks Cisco's VPN client and the built in VPN still does not support group authentication. A huge issues for me if it's true. Yes, I am very nervous about installing Tiger.

12. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Everything is going on DVD backup, then I'm zero'ing the drive before installing. That's a bummer about the Wacom driver.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm a bit nervous too, i think when i do install it, i'm going to sit down at the bar (genius bar) and install it incase something goes wrong i'm not that far away from getting help. Can apple install it for me? I'm really lazy...

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But where's the fun in that?

Meh, I'm such a geek. :(

15. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I, for one, am not too worried about it. Maybe I have been lucky in my computing experience--except when I tried to install Windows 95 when it came out. Plus, I have faith in Apple.

Also, for the requirements for the new pro apps we know 10.4.1 is coming soon, so I am sure Apple is on the ball crushing bugs left and right.

I will definitely start with the laptop before putting Tiger on my main desktop. This way I get to play with Tiger and I can keep an eye on the chat boards to ensure there are no issues which will impact me.

Finally, it doesn't appear there are any fatal bugs people are reporting. Sure, Tiger is going to need some serious bug fixing like any new OS launch. But it's the severity of the bugs and whether or not they impact you that matters.

16. Sogo macrumors 6502

eh, im not too worried. Yea problems suck, but i have everything backed up so if anything happens i can deal. When we all upgrade, we will all have to roll with the punches.