Net MD og Virtual PC??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by annk, Feb 19, 2005.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have a Sony Net MD that I used extensively before I got my iPod. Though the iPod's great, I miss the light, compact, sleek appearance of the minidisc, and especially the incredible battery life. In addition, I do some interview work and prefer the minidisc for this.

I've just been reading on various forums that Virtual PC MIGHT work with Sony's software. Now, I'm not a big fan of Sony's burner software for minidisc, but a version for Mac exists, there's no other option.

So here are my two questions:

1) Does anyone here have experience with VPC and mindisc, and is the experience good or bad?

2) Are there any reasons to avoid Virtual PC? I don't want to pollute my PB with software I'll regret...

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

VPC is a MacOS X application. It pretty much behaves like any other MacOS X application. It runs Intel-compatible applications from disk image files which serve as virtual hard disks. If you don't like VPC, trash the application from your Applications folder and the disk image files from your Documents folder and it is gone.

As for whether or not the Sony Net MD will work with VPC, I see no reason why it would not. VPC emulates a fairly generic PC. Many users are [wrongly, IMHO] not satisfied with its performance, but its software compatility has never come into serious question.

The only reason to avoid VPC is that you don't understand the emulator. The purpose of VPC is to run those few Intel-compatible applications that have no Mac counterpart. As a byproduct, it is really the best choice for cross-platform software and network development. OTOH, you need to look elsewhere if you want to use VPC to run all of your old Windows software on your Mac with no view toward migrating to Mac software.

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks - that´s basically what I needed to know.