NetBeans 6.7.1 unstable on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by wrldwzrd89, Sep 6, 2009.

1. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Anyone else experience this? My installation seems to crash quite frequently, for no apparent reason. :confused:

2. macrumors member

Yeah, I have the same problem. I'm not sure what the problem is, but its definately not as stable as it was under Leopard.

3. macrumors newbie

The same problem. A lot worse than under Leopard.

4. macrumors newbie

I have had to stop using Netbeans all together. It literally drains the CPU. If you type a dollar sign ($) in your code it lags for up to 10-15 secs before allowing you to continue.

I am running on a MacBook Pro (new one) with 4 gig of memory and I have the k64 enabled to 64 bit and it still is a dog. I hope it gets patched soon, I am not a fan of going back to Dreamweaver.

5. macrumors newbie

New Java version?

I don't experience slowdowns but it can crash quite unexpectedly. Snow Leopard is shipping with new version of Java which I'd suspect does not play well on OS X or Netbeans itself got issue with it.

6. macrumors member

Java 1.6 only on Snow Leopard??

So is it true that Snow Leopard only runs with Java 1.6, and will uninstall a Java 1.5 JRE if it finds it.

Maybe, NetBeans requires something in Java 1.5.

I'm speculating but the only thing that comes to mind is the "swing-layout-1.0.3.jar" which had some Swing Layout classes (not included in 1.5) that became standard with a different package name in Java 1.6.

7. macrumors 6502

I switched to Eclipse because of the problems. It seems to be running a lot better now.

8. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I ended up switching to Eclipse as well - and not regretting my decision. Sure, NetBeans is nice, but when it's THAT unstable it's not really usable.

9. macrumors member

Any update. NetBeans on Snow Leopard?

Do we have any update on running NetBeans on Snow Leopard?

10. macrumors newbie

I google around every week but apparently, there is still no solution :(

11. macrumors newbie

12. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

That doesn't work on Snow Leopard, as the Java 5 JRE/JDK is just a symbolic link to JRE/JDK 6.

13. macrumors 68040

lee1210

Did you follow the instructions on that site? I just took a glance and it looks like there are steps to get java 5 on your snow leopard system.

-Lee

14. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I didn't even look at the site in question, I simply posted based on what's included in SL.

15. macrumors 68030

I have 6.7.1 running on 10.6.1 without issues. No slowdowns at all and almost no processor usage.

Anyway, Eclipse for the win! ;)

16. macrumors 603

Cromulent

I certainly don't have any issues and that is with just about all of the Java plugins installed. I wouldn't say there was no processor usage though and the RAM consumption seems to be through the roof.

Still no crashes which is something I guess, and Netbeans is a far nicer IDE than Eclipse if you ask me (*no flames intended*).

17. macrumors newbie

If you look at the link in the post it explains how to install jvm 1.5 and even 1.4 if you like. Maybe my post was a little too terse. After doing so netbeans became much more stable. I still have unexpected closing but it is now functional for me.

18. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I've got good news, and bad news along these lines. The good news: NetBeans 6.8 is coming soon. The bad news: It looks like this release has some of the same issues 6.7.1 had on Mac OS X :(

19. macrumors newbie

Apologies for being noobish, but where do I find netbeans.conf?! Everything I read just refers to this file as if I should know where it is, but I don't have a clue... :(

NetBeans 6.7.1 is quite temperamental for me now with Snow Leopard.

20. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

It's located inside the NetBeans application bundle, I believe. Right-click on NetBeans.app, choose Show Package Contents, drill down into Contents -> Resources, it's in there.

21. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thats a shame about Netbeans. I use it all the time for class as an alternative to visual studio. (Don't get me wrong I love VS but...I have a mac not a win machine and dont care to go back to windows.)

Hopefully everything gets fixed soon.

22. macrumors newbie

PermSize increase fixed it

Hi guys,

I solved that problem by increasing the values for MaxPermSize and Permsize option in netbeans.conf:

netbeans_default_options="-J-Dorg.netbeans.modules.tomcat.autoregister.token=1252227984581 -J-Dorg.netbeans.modules.tomcat.autoregister.catalinaHome=\"/home/asaf/apache-tomcat-6.0.18\" -J-client -J-Xss2m -J-Xms32m -J-XX:permSize=512m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -J-Xverify:none -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true"

My java is 1.6.0_12

23. macrumors newbie

this seems to work - I increased the values to 256 and 512:
    PermSize=256m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

24. macrumors newbie

update on the previous two posts:
    no, increasing the memory as recommended in the previous two posts just causes that the crash comes later so, unfortunately, it is not a solution :(

btw. 6.8rc1 comes still with this bug.

Cheers