Netbooks kill Macbook demand

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 4, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: Apple Hardware
    Link: Netbooks kill Macbook demand
    Description:: Apple's Macbook line of notebook computers faired well through the 2008 holiday season, however new research indicates that sales are ebbing in the wake of stronger economic turmoil.

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  3. macrumors member

Nov 19, 2007
    You Got that right!
  4. macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2007
    Of course, if journalists were required to base their headlines on the content of the story, one might more accurately title that article "Netbooks bruise MacBook demand", but that wouldn't get as many clicks, I guess.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2007
    I guess they can try to just muster through. No point in developing a computer they are not interested in just so they can capture a "temporary market" (recession will be over before they settle on a netbook design they like...).
  6. macrumors member

May 17, 2005
    I've stopped buying organic food lately, and I'm actually considering a netbook myself. I've always bought mac in the past but...beggers can't be choosers.;)
  7. macrumors 6502

May 5, 2008
    silly article

Doesn't Apple's sales always slip at the beginning of the year? I think it's historically their worst quarter.

The whole article is silly. There's no evidence provided that sales are falling more than usual, and it's pure speculation to connect the expanding netbook market with a fall in Apple's notebook sales. Seems Apples and oranges to me.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2007
    I think Apple's "we only want to make the best" line is the wrong tack here. Netbooks are not just super-cheap laptops, they serve a different function. I imagine it's possible to make machines that do what they do better than anyone else.
  9. macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
  10. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Feb 1, 2008
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    According to the article, "27 percent of those who plan to buy a laptop in the next 90 days say they will choose a Mac. That's down six points from the last survey." But that may just reflect the fact that most people who were planning to get one of the new Macbooks already have. On the other hand, "Apple did see a 1 point increase in the percentage of desktop purchasers who plan to buy a Mac," which may show that customers are still waiting for iMacs and Mac Pros.
  11. macrumors member

Oct 18, 2008
    Hey Apple! Here's a novel idea: make computers people actually want. That means a FIREWIRE port on the macbook and a optical drive on the macbook air. Pffft - a laptop you can put in a manila envelope. RIDICULOUS.
  12. macrumors 68030

Jul 17, 2002
    Dubuque, Iowa
    And cupertino can be less than flexible.

That too, but not with this crowd.
  13. macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2006
    netbooks wont be around for long, people will only buy them once and learn they are pretty useless and age fast, and with the growing number of feature-phones with internet they are less and less desirable.
  14. macrumors 65816

Aug 21, 2006
  15. macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    There a stepping stone to the smartphone. Whilst you can't do much content creation on a smart phone you can't really do much on your average Netbook either, with their small screens and keyboards. And combining a small screen + high resolution is just a different problem, not a solution.
  16. macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2003
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Yes. 1. There are no replacement option for many firewire devices (try doing multi-camera streaming without firewire); 2. When I factor the expense of replacing two 3-chip firewire consumer grade cameras, a firewire A/D converter for mics, plus the price differential between the Machine that Former Worked With It All (a MacBook) and the Much More Expensive Machine That Works With It All Now (a MacBook Pro), this is a no brainer for me: no replacement.

That translates directly to Apple's bottom line. No $5 Firewire port, no profit earned from a sale of a MacBook to me.
  17. macrumors member

Mar 16, 2008
    Stoke on trent
    Time are hard , but apple has ALWAYS ripped there customers off with hardware which was in PC'S long ago , Macbooks are a rip off for what is in them ,
  18. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Exactly. The article does not disclose when the previous survey was conducted, or if any adjustments have been made for seasonality. This makes it worthless as evidence of any trend. But that won't stop some from claiming that it proves whatever they already believed.
  19. macrumors 68010

Oct 23, 2003
    Brunswick, MD
    Yeah, ok ....

The fact is, the majority don't even know what "firewire" IS, much less care if it's missing on their new Macbook.

My ex-g/f, for example, bought a white Macbook a couple years ago, for use in grad. school. Now? She wants the new aluminum version. Never ONCE plugged a single thing into the firewire port, and won't be missing it.

And the Macbook Air situation? Really, it's always been a "niche market" machine. It's lacking PLENTY of expansion ports, as well as the optical drive - and is obviously intended to appeal to a crowd who simply wants a sleek, thin and lightweight OS X based notebook for tasks like web surfing and email. It's kind of a "satellite computer" to an existing desktop system, in other words.

20. macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2007
    A survey's results and Apple's actual performance are very different.

"Macintosh computer sales reached 2.5 million units, a 9% increase from a year ago. Mac sales were boosted by strong increases in MacBook portable sales, which rose 34% from a year ago to 1.8 million units, but desktop sales fell 25% to 728,000 Macs."
    ...from 1-25-09

Sales are up 34%... How exactly do you see netbooks having any negative effect?

I read somewhere this past quarter Apple had more sales and more profit than in any time in it's history.
  21. macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
  22. macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    If you only looking at a list of hardware components then yes, pound for pound you get more from a PC.

But is it a rip off?

Certainly Apple isn't selling components at the lowest price (CORE 2 DUO LAPTOP, 250GB HDD, 3GB RAM, 24-IN-ONE MEMORY CARD READER GREAT VALUE ONLY £399 crippled wifi, bluetooth - forget it, flimsy keyboard, clumsy trackpad, crap display, Vista Basic, 7lb, 90 minute battery), they are selling a product. A product which is engineered to serve a particular purpose and serve it well.

Part of that engineering effort involves figuring out what to leave out and which areas focus on that will make a difference during the products life. In short there is a bit more focus on “how well does this serve it's purpose” and a bit less on “how do we fit the cheapest components in the cheapest case possible”.

Hence Apple can charge the prices they do and still grow their market share. And of course if people don't want to buy Apple products then there are plenty of alternatives.

Currently the Macintosh doesn't really appeal to those who analyse checklists and count up bullet points. I don't think it ever has done to be honest.

If you value strong industrial design, Mac look and feel software, the unique value proposition of OS X (UNIX based, POSIX compliant, good development tools etc), and great after sales care then I don't think a generic PC really appeals much either.
  23. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I'm not going to complain too much about that when it comes to a netbook.
  24. macrumors G3

May 18, 2008
    Hartford, CT
    Funny there are still people out there that are in the market for a macbook, but wouldnt EVER consider a netbook. AKA me.

Nice headline on that article:rolleyes: sensationalism rocks!
  25. macrumors 6502a

Apr 6, 2006
    (Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    I think most people who buy Macs don't buy them just for "what's in them", but for overall quality, time-saving performance, OS X & some great software, by which I don't just mean iLife. That said, I'd like to see more competitive pricing from Apple, which I'm confident will happen later as production costs on the new MacBooks are reduced.

The fact that Mac market share has been growing steadily for years now strongly suggests that Apple's customers don't feel they're being ripped off, as you claim, but think that the products are worth paying a little extra for.