Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're right, the analogy is bad. More accurately it would be if I had a 100 bedrooms and paid them to do two bedrooms a day and they started doing three. I'm not paying you more because they want to keep me from responding to the ads I get for a new cleaner.

I would consider paying them more if they started baking cookies as well.
You are still benefiting from their improvements. And you are getting more, whether or not you might care about it is not very relevant to that.

Even if said cleaning company wasn't doing more for you but was doing it with better equipment and using better methods which all cost them some more they would adjust their prices to some degree over time. Perhaps you might not care about better equipment and methods to clean your place, and that's fine, you can then try to find a service that would use the equipment and methods you like at the price you might be more comfortable with. Although it sounds like you do want all those improvements but for the same old price, which isn't realistic.

If you want you can ignore all that and simply just go with the adjustment for inflation. Sure we don't like it, but reality is reality.

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
You are still benefiting from their improvements. And you are getting more, whether or not you might care about it is not very relevant to that.

Even if said cleaning company wasn't doing more for you but was doing it with better equipment and using better methods which all cost them some more they would adjust their prices to some degree over time. Perhaps you might not care about better equipment and methods to clean your place, and that's fine, you can then try to find a service that would use the equipment and methods you like at the price you might be more comfortable with. Although it sounds like you do want all those improvements but for the same old price, which isn't realistic.

If you want you can ignore all that and simply just go with the adjustment for inflation. Sure we don't like it, but reality is reality.

You are stuck on this idea that improvements aren't expected. Most employers expect you to get better at your job. Every place I have worked they evaluate me to see if my improvement are significant enough to justify a raise. Simply showing up and doing my job would never justify a raise. Being better than expectations is what earns that.

I have the same expectations with every business I give my money to. I expect my gym to add more machines. I expect my sports team to learn new plays. I expect my waiter to be familiar with new items on the menu. They don't get paid more for knowing learning this information. Instead, they get a raise when they demonstrate that they are doing something beyond their job. It's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of adding value. Being better than before keeps us coming back, but it doesn't justify being paid more.

I expect Netflix to add more movies and TV shows because it is their job to ensure they are the platform people use to consume those medias. The fact that they added more original content is irrelevant. I don't mean to me. I mean it definitionally. It's expected they will add more quality content, and it doesn't matter who makes it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You are stuck on this idea that improvements aren't expected. Most employers expect you to get better at your job. Every place I have worked they evaluate me to see if my improvement are significant enough to justify a raise. Simply showing up and doing my job would never justify a raise. Being better than expectations is what earns that.

I have the same expectations with every business I give my money to. I expect my gym to add more machines. I expect my sports team to learn new plays. I expect my waiter to be familiar with new items on the menu. They don't get paid more for knowing learning this information. Instead, they get a raise when they demonstrate that they are doing something beyond their job. It's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of adding value. Being better than before keeps us coming back, but it doesn't justify being paid more.

I expect Netflix to add more movies and TV shows because it is their job to ensure they are the platform people use to consume those medias. The fact that they added more original content is irrelevant. I don't mean to me. I mean it definitionally. It's expected they will add more quality content, and it doesn't matter who makes it.
An employer expects you to get better at your job and you expect to get a raise as you get better at your job. Simply showing up and doing what you are supposed to do will typically not get you much but it will usually get you a living wage increase to account for inflation (at least in most normal companies under normal circumstances). But if you go beyond just doing your job then you can get a bigger raise (and even a promotion).

Netflix improving their service and adding not even just more and better content but creating their own rather good content on top of it is Netflix going beyond just doing their regular job. It's being better than expectations.

Now, again, you might disagree with that and say that's just part of their job and nothing beyond it, but that's basically like you doing better than expectations and your employer not giving you a raise and simply saying that you are doing your job, that part of your job is to do better than expectations and you doing that doesn't justify a raise since it's just part of your job. Clearly you would disagree with your employer on that point.

In any case, seems like there's a disconnect there between believing that improving and expanding things is just part of the norm that doesn't require anything or that it's going beyond that which might require more (as has been the case with all kinds of businesses for ages). Going in circles about it doesn't help as that disconnect seems to remain. So it seems best to leave it at that realization and not go back through it all over again.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
An employer expects you to get better at your job and you expect to get a raise as you get better at your job. Simply showing up and doing what you are supposed to do will typically not get you much but it will usually get you a living wage increase to account for inflation (at least in most normal companies under normal circumstances). But if you go beyond just doing your job then you can get a bigger raise (and even a promotion).

Netflix improving their service and adding not even just more and better content but creating their own rather good content on top of it is Netflix going beyond just doing their regular job. It's being better than expectations.

Now, again, you might disagree with that and say that's just part of their job and nothing beyond it, but that's basically like you doing better than expectations and your employer not giving you a raise and simply saying that you are doing your job, that part of your job is to do better than expectations and you doing that doesn't justify a raise since it's just part of your job. Clearly you would disagree with your employer on that point.

In any case, seems like there's a disconnect there between believing that improving and expanding things is just part of the norm that doesn't require anything or that it's going beyond that which might require more (as has been the case with all kinds of businesses for ages). Going in circles about it doesn't help as that disconnect seems to remain. So it seems best to leave it at that realization and not go back through it all over again.

You are right, I do feel the disconnect. And you are right that circles don't help. I think we can agree that failing to improve oneself and simply maintaining the status quo should cost something. Employees that don't improve themselves significantly should earn less after inflation, just as business who don't remain innovative should as well. Unlike some of the other comments however I don't find consumer cancelation a terribly interesting metric. I am far more interested in domestic growth. Why domestic growth? Because if the number of US customers don't increase their motivation to make US specific content will decrease. Adding content end users are not interested in will make it harder to locate content with value. The harder it is to navigate the clutter, or the more frequently Netflix suggests content incorrectly the less value the service provides. Bind that to a cost increase and it won't matter if customers stick around, because Netflix will struggle to locate new revenue to do the one thing they have to do: acquire more content.

Last edited:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I been a subscriber to Netflix since 2010 and it is becoming less worth it everyday. Much content expired last year. So they add new original content the problem is I hate there original content. 90% of it mature sorry but I don't want to watch programs with constant sex and swearing. Netflix raising my rates for original content meanwhile a boat load of classic TV content went away. Doctor Who might go away next month. Now starting to watch the CW shows they might go away when I start binge watching Supernatural because the stupid CEO rather waste money on mature originals.

Last edited:

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
It is pretty normal that prices are going up. Yes, it was nice to pay a bit less than others over the past 2 years, but I knew it was coming and I will keep Netflix (and Hulu). I never see a Starbucks or DD from the inside, have HD TV over the air for free, plus fast cable for about $45 a month, so paying $2 extra is nothing to complain about.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
All while sipping on $4 lattes (that likely went up in price multiple times over the years). ;)
Another stupid coffee analogy. I don't or ever drink coffee.
I don't mind paying more if they gave me more but Netflix takes away more stuff I like then what they add. Not everyone likes there originals but they think they do.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I've never seen so much vitriol over $2/mo. #firstworldproblems

No kidding! Like every business doesn't increase their price over time. Can you still find a 5 cent Coke? The product hasn't changed, the world has.

Content is King in streaming. Netflix isn't adding "original content" because they think it's fun, it's because content is getting expensive and licensing the shows of others is increasing EVERY year. Yes, before you may even get to watch it. How rude indeed.

Grow up people, it's reality. If you get more satisfaction elsewhere, drop Netflix. Just stop the whining. Spoiler alert: nothing will stay the same price forever.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't mind paying more if they gave me more but Netflix takes away more stuff I like then what they add. Not everyone likes there originals but they think they do.
Not an analogy, but a joke (one that refrences that plenty of us spend all kinds of money on much less useful things that are much more temporary in comparison).

That said, as analogies go, in a way brings me back to the point I made about them earlier, that people will nitpick the details to death essentially just because, rather than facing the actual bigger picture that they convey--not seeing the forest for the trees type of thing.

Last edited:

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I was a former Netflix member till I went to Amazon. Currently in Amazon and will end membership soon...
Presumably because Amazon also has a limited selection? If your expectation is that, someday, you'll find a streaming service that is truly unlimited, I think you'll always face nothing but disappointment.

Since, you know, there is a limit to the actual number of movies and TV shows that have ever been made. I don't know what that number is, but in the grand cosmic scale of things, it's pretty dern small.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Presumably because Amazon also has a limited selection? If your expectation is that, someday, you'll find a streaming service that is truly unlimited, I think you'll always face nothing but disappointment.

Since, you know, there is a limit to the actual number of movies and TV shows that have ever been made. I don't know what that number is, but in the grand cosmic scale of things, it's pretty dern small.
That's true. I would expect disappointment; however, it doesn't hurt to get all the movies from past, would it?

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I'll be cancelling Netflix when I'm done with my programming backlog. They still haven't added a show I've been asking for repeatedly, and in fact they keep removing shows on my to-watch list and their movie selection is atrocious -- I go looking for a movie I'm in the mood to watch, and it's not there. They've pulled a movie that I'd started watching, got distracted from, and then when I went to finish, it was gone.

I've gotten a lot of use out of Netflix, but I'd already been considering cancelling. This is just another point in favour of that.

I've had fun poked at me for having a big Blu-ray collection. But I know that collection will be there when I want it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Am I the only one that watches most of my TV by renting it from Apple TV? Yes, I have Netflix but 80%+ of what we watch is rented or purchased (rarely) on Apple TV. First we'll check to see if Amazon Prime or Netflix has it, and if they don't (usually the case) we'll rent it on Apple TV. Rarely do we find what we want to watch on Netflix or Amazon. However, we are big fans of original programming: Mozart in the Jungle, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Ridiculous 6, etc... We never go to the movies anymore and wait for releases to rent on Apple TV (can be a month after Apple TV sells them ($19.99)) (usually) - if we're impatient we'll buy it on Apple TV. I have about a 60+ movie and 10+ TV Seasons library on Apple TV over the course of 3 years.

Still spending a heck of a lot less than I did for Direct TV without the almost 50% commercials - watching content we like / want to watch when we want to watch.

Do I care that Netflix is going up? A few extra bucks isn't going to hurt the bank. What sucks is, they're removing so much that more than 50% of my "to watch on netflix" list is almost guaranteed to not be there anymore. You can go to websites that suggest movies on Netflix and handfuls of movies don't exist anymore. That kinda bothers me but for $10? I spend $4.99-$6.99/week on Apple TV rentals, so I really don't care. I'll keep it for now but it's not with a smile. The original programming definitely helped keep me from cancelling my service.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Am I the only one that watches most of my TV by renting it from Apple TV?
I'm more of the opposite in that I do most of my watching on Netflix or Hulu then iTunes. I'd prefer not to buy or rent stuff that I am content to wait a while for. Once in a while I'll rent/buy something if I really want to see it right away, but that doesn't happen often for me.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
[doublepost=1454171258][/doublepost]
So instead of keeping the increases at 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 25% over 10 years, you'd rather have 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%? And then you'd be happy and it wouldn't be a 'slap in the face'?
Yup, as long as it still proved to be a good service.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
[doublepost=1454171258][/doublepost]
Yup, as long as it still proved to be a good service.

You realize that would have costed you more money having an increase every year right?
[doublepost=1454187499][/doublepost]
Am I the only one that watches most of my TV by renting it from Apple TV? Yes, I have Netflix but 80%+ of what we watch is rented or purchased (rarely) on Apple TV. First we'll check to see if Amazon Prime or Netflix has it, and if they don't (usually the case) we'll rent it on Apple TV. Rarely do we find what we want to watch on Netflix or Amazon. However, we are big fans of original programming: Mozart in the Jungle, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Ridiculous 6, etc... We never go to the movies anymore and wait for releases to rent on Apple TV (can be a month after Apple TV sells them ($19.99)) (usually) - if we're impatient we'll buy it on Apple TV. I have about a 60+ movie and 10+ TV Seasons library on Apple TV over the course of 3 years.

Still spending a heck of a lot less than I did for Direct TV without the almost 50% commercials - watching content we like / want to watch when we want to watch.

Do I care that Netflix is going up? A few extra bucks isn't going to hurt the bank. What sucks is, they're removing so much that more than 50% of my "to watch on netflix" list is almost guaranteed to not be there anymore. You can go to websites that suggest movies on Netflix and handfuls of movies don't exist anymore. That kinda bothers me but for $10? I spend $4.99-$6.99/week on Apple TV rentals, so I really don't care. I'll keep it for now but it's not with a smile. The original programming definitely helped keep me from cancelling my service.

I'm more of the opposite in that I do most of my watching on Netflix or Hulu then iTunes. I'd prefer not to buy or rent stuff that I am content to wait a while for. Once in a while I'll rent/buy something if I really want to see it right away, but that doesn't happen often for me.

Same here. I usually hit Netflix, Hulu or HBO before looking at iTunes. I wish iTunes pricing was better. $2-3 to rent a new movie I would do it without thinking. $6 for a one time rental always feels steep. I'm sure it's controlled by the content owners anyway.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Netflix does not "take away stuff" They have to pay for it. And when that license is up, the OWNER pulls it from Netflix or agrees to let them continue streaming it via a new agreement. If content owners do not want Netflix to stream their stuff, there is nothing Netflix can do. This was a major reason Netflix started down the "original Content" route. And if you notice all other streaming sites are doing the same. That way THEY get to control where and when they offer that content.

Getting content is not cheap. How long did people expect to get stuff dirt cheap?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Well I hate most of there originals. If and when it turns into another HBO I am done and will move on to some other streaming service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.