Netflix Like System for CDs?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by barijazz, Aug 30, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Is there any system in place like netflix except for cds? Not a cd trading service but renting. Thanks.

2. macrumors newbie

why would you want to do this? I mean no disrespect, just curious, that's all.

I mean, with all the "napsters, limewires, etc", I would think that it would be a failing business plan from the get go... just my .02:eek:

3. macrumors 6502

munson

Well, some people like the whole "CD" experience, similar to that of vinyl (but not as good in my opinion). Also, it is rather tough to find some lesser known things on the internet, and often times the files are not high enough quality for some people's standards (I happen to like Apple Lossless, which is nearly impossible to find online).

But that's me. I don't know about the OP.

4. Guest

I use LALA.com. It's similar to netflix, but you pay per cd about 1 buck per trade. Works great! I like it!

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

I just can't listen to mp3s without cringing, I listen to lossless:)

6. macrumors 6502

munson

Good for you. It's nice to know there are average people out there who still care about sound quality.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

8. macrumors 6502a

Same here. I just got a 2.1 Mirage and Polk audio setup for music, and some Shure SE210 headphones, and I LOVE them, but I have found the quality of my sound files to be poor after the purchases. Since then, I have upgraded most of my library to the max AAC bit rate, because although I love the lossless sound quality, I cannot fit enough songs on my iPod like that, so I must suffer a bit.

That being said, I get most of my CDs from my local library system. It is free, and completely legal, because they were paid for with tax dollars and neither they nor you are trying to sell them to someone else. (At least that is how I interpreted it :))

So, if you can, go that route. They may be slower to get to you than a Netflix like service, and you have to go get them, but hey, who doesn't like high quality free music?

9. macrumors 65816

Galley

Yes, you can borrow CDs from the library, but you're still not allowed to copy them.

10. macrumors 68020

Ntombi

swapacd.com is good. I've used its sister site, paperbackswap.com, for years, and swapacd has been doing well too.

They have a DVD site too: swapadvd.com, but I've never used that.

11. macrumors member

Hmm...yeah, it gets REALLY annoying when the librarian follows me home to make sure i'm not copying the CD... .. ... .. ...

12. macrumors 65816

Galley

The librarian might not be stalking you, but perhaps the RIAA is. ;)

13. macrumors Core

alphaod

So why borrow the CD if you can just download the CD if you plan on pirating anyways? :confused:

14. Aea
    macrumors 6502a

Aea

Less chance of getting caught?

15. macrumors 6502

munson

Easier to get better quality audio files in most cases. We already stated above that it was for quality reasons. :)

Also, it's a lot easier to get obscure/underground stuff via CD as opposed to .mp3/FLAC/etc.