Netflix Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jun 2, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Usually my shipping notices say I'll get my DVD on the next day USPS delivers mail. So if I get a shipping notice on Monday, it will say "For Tuesday"

Today I just got one, that said expected arrival was Tuesday. I'd expect it to say arrival on Saturday...not Tuesday. Anyone know why? Now I'm worried they've throttled me or something. Havent even been a member for a month..

2. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

What movie is it? If the movie isn't available from your closest distributor, then it might take longer. And Saturday is only a half day for the post office so that might have bumped it a day.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i've gotten that at times. i'd expect it to arrive as usual, really... i think sometimes they just push back the expected date so they don't come later than advertised. have you been using it enough to think you might be throttled?

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

If you don't rent a lot, its probably just because its coming from a different distribution center.

If you rent a lot, I can pretty much gaurantee they throttled you. They did that to me constantly when i was with them. It was why I left them. The worst thing about the throttling is they consistently lied about it when I asked them about it. It took about 10 tries to get them to almost admit to it. Later they got sued for it (vindication is nice, even if it didn't really help me in any way).

If you've only been a member for a month its probably not throttling, see if it keeps happening.

5. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Didn't they just lose a lawsuit about holding DVDs from frequent renters? I think if you were with them when they were doing that, you get a free month(they're not even allowed to continue with the next month because it would be a promotion instead of a punishment/rebate) or some cash back. I'm 99% sure of it. You should look into it.

6. emaja macrumors 68000

Blockbuster Online does not throttle at all, which is one of the reasons I went with them instead of Netflix. I want "unlimited" to actually mean "unlimited."

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I just joined this month, I'm definitely not eligible.

I received a shipping notice for another DVD today that's due tomorrow. So I suppose the Tuesday one is from a further distribution center. It's the Family Values Tour 98 DVD, probably not as common as recent Hollywood movies in DCs. KoRn and Rammstein live in 5.1, sounds like it will be worth a slightly extra wait :D

I was thinking about BB, then a friend of mine gave me a gift subscription of a couple months for Netflix. And I've been very satisfied with them so far, so no plans of switching once those months are up.

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I started renting from Netflix and things were nice. I'd bring in about 18 rentals a month and it was well worth my $20. Then one day all in the sudden things were slowing. I knew nothing about throttling and searches on Goggle gave me nothing. I sent countless e-mails, phone calls, etc. Nothing. I had over 70 in my queue and was getting no more than 4 per month for about 6 months. I eventually switched to blockbuster after being a member with Netflix for just under 2 years.

That is when the whole throttle thing came out and people were pissed. I do have that free month, but it's not happening for me I don't think. I can't see even bothering with them, although I should. I did do one thing, I disputed the charges with my bank and got back $100. I told them they violated their contract with me and that I wasn't getting what I paid for. They agreed and let $100 come back. I think that was worth more than the free month from the class action suit.

Blockbuster has been great. However they seem to have spurts where they slow down, but that could be for a number of reasons. I don't rent nearly as much as I used to, time isn't on my side, but still.

Back then 18 movies a month were being rented and one was watched every night pretty much. I was working on a alot of projects that allowed me to sit around the house a lot.

10. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I did BB for 2 months and I actually thought they were throttling me. They take 2 days each way when Netflix only took one day. The distribution centers were both in the same city, so I didn't know what else to think. I decided to just join for a month every now and again and rip as many DVDs as I can and just watch them later.

11. emaja macrumors 68000

Well, official posted policy of BB says they do not throttle while NF says they reserve the right to, so I guess it is up in the air.

I have always received my disks promptly within a reasonable time from BB so I am happy.

Now if they would just ship me Battlestar Galactica 2.0 I would be happy. it's been at the top of my queue for a month.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Has blockbuster gotten better? I used them in late 04/early 05 and they never had any good movies in stock. I went back to netflix because even though they're more expensive they always had what I wanted. Also, netflix seems to have a lot more distribution centers.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They throttle me in a certain way. While I still get movies within 3 days( 1 day sending the old back, next day ship, then the next recieve), I sometimes get shuffled around what movie is chosen. My #1 isn't the one getting shipped normally. They send me one that is about 15 positions down. The #1-#14 were all available. So WTF Netflix?

14. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I just got the DVD today...came from Southeastern, PA. To speed up the return shipping process, is it OK if I mail it in one of the extra envelopes I have for St. Louis's shipping center? Or does it have to go back to where it came from? Thanks

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I had blockbuster for a while too, and thought they were pretty terrible. they may not have throttled, but everything took longer with them. t ehir selection wasn't as good, and their website was not very good. Netflix was great, if not for the throttling issue. BB may have gotten better, but they weren't anything compelling a few years ago for me.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And I want "no late fees" to actually mean "no late fees" but Blockbuster can't please everyone. Or anyone in this case. ;)

17. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I would say go for it. I'm sure they'll just scan it in regularly. But the real question is what will netflix do to retaliate?

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've had disks shipped from multiple locations and have never worried about which envelope it goes into. It doesn't seem to have affected me at all. They get it back, scan it in and everything's hunky dory. I think they have limited numbers of some disks that don''t get rented very often so they don't much care where they end up as they'll just ship it back across the country if they need to.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

In my experience I've found two things that impact when they ship.

The first if it's a new release. They only buy so many disks and therefore limit the number of rentals.

The second is if it's a somewhat obscure movie, then they'll have even fewer of them and they'll ship it from the other side of the US so it'll take longer to get to you.

My pet peeve is that I've gotten 4 disks that were unplayable. One had a massive crack in it and I didn't look at it before I put it in my PB and thought it was never going to come out again. The other 3 were severely scratched. Maybe the West Sacramento shipping point just has really bad quality control.