Netflix to Be Delivered on the Internet

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 16, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 601

ITASOR

not even mac compatible...

3. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

That is bogus, No compatability with any other OS then Windows is just crap....:mad:

4. macrumors 6502a

Verto

I use Netflix and think this is a great idea; online delivery is the Way of the Future. Fellow Netflix subscribers, please use the following link and give Netflix some feedback: let them know how important it is to you that Netflix support Mac OS X, etc. Surely the effort involved in making the service available to other OSes can't be too great.

http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs

5. macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Done... and I think we should start one of those online petitions.

[​IMG]

6. 210
    macrumors regular

What would you have to use to watch these movies on a TV instead of watching them on your computer? Would you get surround sound?

Do you think Apple will take note of this and release a rental version of iTunes for movies? When movies are finally here in the UK and there is a rental model, I would so buy an Apple TV then.

7. macrumors 6502a

I too will be sending them an email as a loyal subscriber for like 3 years now. The thing that irks me the most about it is that it isn't even using Windows Media, so they can't use that as an excuse. In today's platform independent internet world there really is no excuse not to develop for OSs other than Windows.

8. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I only use Netflix for Blu-Ray titles. No chance I'll be able to download those anytime soon :cool:

9. macrumors 65816

jackc

I don't think Netflix is stupid, they must have noticed Apple ads or people using Macs or something. It sounds like it will be alengthy roll-out process, so hopefully Mac support will come eventually.

10. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

either apple give us a subscription option or netflix make it available for mac!

11. macrumors 6502a

Verto

Yeah, but "eventually" usually means 4 years after the fact.

12. macrumors newbie

any news on this?

still not available for us Mac users?

I wrote a letter on the Netflix suggestions page

"I used to have a subscription to Netflix. I loved the service and the product. I am a Mac user, and was very disappointed to discover that PC users have the ability to use a service (instant watching) that us Mac users do not. I am no longer a Netflix subscriber and would come back in a flash if the spectacular "instant watching" feature were available to ALL PAYING Netflix customers.

Please notify the large Mac using customer market as soon as this application is available to us as well. Until such a time, I will follow millions of other Mac users, by viewing online media with Apple TV.

Sincerely, "

If anyone wants to use part or the whole thing, just copy and paste and send it to the suggestions page on netflix
    http://www.netflix.com/Suggest?type=28lnkctr=cu_suggest

I wonder if a bombardment of this request might show them the potential market they are missing out on.

:apple:

13. Moderator emeritus

Steve Jobs royally screwed this up a few years ago.

Did a 'Mac' with video on demand, developed proprietary closed solutions which are limping along, didn't come up with a paid model for Fairplay for video for other producers and distributors... and for some time, Microsoft and plenty of distributors are getting ready to head them off at the pass, doing their utmost to ensure that no Apple product holds any grip on the market as the iPod has done.

Blame Apple, not Netflix.

14. macrumors 65816

luminosity

Well, the article must not be compatible either, because it's not working anymore.

15. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This thread is nearly a year old....

16. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

December must be National Revive a Dead Thread Month.

17. macrumors 65816

luminosity

Wow. My fault. I obviously didn't look at the date, which I should have.

18. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No probs... the poster who revived it revived it to point out that, almost a year later, Netflix is still not mac compatible. I tried to find you a link to a more recent article reviewing Netflix's movie download service, but I couldn't really find anything good... here is information on the VOD service:

http://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks

They say they have 6000 movies right now; the service only works with WinXP/Vista, IE, and WMP.

19. macrumors 65816

luminosity

I've used Boot Camp to watch Netflix with instant viewing, which works okay, except that the fans come on too quickly.

When I read the article title, I thought it meant that they'd be putting their entire catalog up on instant viewing, which isn't realistic for now.