Netflix to Deliver Movies Directly to TV

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by WildCowboy, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Look out Apple TV and iTunes movie rentals...Netflix and LG are partnering to launch a set-top box to deliver downloadable movie rentals.

Link

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Now this has my interest.

I'm not up to buying anime like I did back in college. :rolleyes:

3. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wonder what it'll look like. ...No where near as nice as the Apple TV, I'm sure. ;)

This definitely supports the rumors of iTunes rentals and Apple TV updates at MacWorld.

4. macrumors bot

5. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

This would make my year...getting tried of waiting to netflix to mail me movies. But only if they are in HD

6. Editor emeritus

longofest

Blockbuster Online is awesome, but it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out with iTunes rentals. They will still have to expand their catalog considerably for it to really matter.

7. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

HD is a must, but I think that Netflix has a good customer base to pull this off. It will be interesting to see how the competition with iTunes turns out.

8. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't forget Amazon Unbox/TiVo!

B

9. macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Bummer that Apple and Netflix didn't partner. Would have been best of both worlds. But 2008 has just started. Who knows what it might bring.

10. macrumors 65816

jackc

Good competition for Apple, they've got their work cut out.

11. macrumors regular

i think apple is behind the 8 ball on this movie rental-apple tv thing... best to align with some company...

12. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Downloads are definitely the future for movies, that's why I don't think there'll be a winner in the Blu-Ray/HD DVD format war. I see them both taking a dive. Apple is in a good place to take advantage of this download age for movies, but I'm glad they'll have competition. The competition will lead to innovation and a better user experience. I just hope downloads don't take a day to complete, that's the biggest hurdle I see, though streaming offers a partial solution to this.

13. macrumors 68020

howard

i just wish there watch instantly feature worked with mac.

I emailed them to ask for that feature for mac, if any of you want it I would encourage you to contact them as well.

as for the this... the idea sounds great, but lets see how it works in practice.

14. macrumors regular

Thats what I was thinking when reading the article. I love NetFlix, but that peeves me that they still don't support the Mac in terms of their "watch instantly" feature.

I wonder what the computer requirements will be for this set-top box.... will it use a web browser? Or will it be another Windows only deal?

15. macrumors regular

I think you're right, but I don't think it's Apple's fault. It's very clear that the movie industry is reluctant to partner with Apple. They see their music dominance as a bad thing (which it's not for us customers), and they don't want to loose control of the pricing scheme.

This whole thing is unfortunate, because if the movie industry partners with everyone but Apple, then we'll be left out in the cold since these services will no doubt use some sort of Windows-centric format.

Currently, I think Apple's innovation is stellar. It always has been whether they've had competition or not. I just think they need to ramp up their QC.

16. macrumors regular

Netflix's movie streaming software be "mac compatible" but it currently doesn't work on a mac.

17. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Not having a reliable internet connection when I'm home, I'd be happy with a download+watch system. Instant-on might mean you could loose your movie feed right when Dr. Malcolm Crow noticed that his wife dropped his wedding ring, which suddenly wasn't on his finger. THEN what are you supposed to do?

18. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Woah, dang. Apple had better sign up a few mores studios than Fox and Disney if they want to compete with this.

19. macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Competition spurs innovation. This is a good thing.

20. macrumors 6502

It's missing portability.

If it currently doesn't work with a Mac, how would they support the iPod. If you can't carry it with you on a plane or so, the market will be only limited. And of all portable players out there, the iPod is by far the most used. Not be able to support that is a huge issue.

And if they use Play For Sure, with all the current issues, how can they make it as seamless as Apple can do?

21. macrumors 6502a

I totally agree. I read an article written by Micheal Bay..the director of Transformers who said the only reason M$ took HD-DVD's side was so that none of them would win. He said that M$ wants both to fail so that they can succeed with digital downloads. Mr. Bay also went on to say that he wanted his movie to be released in both formats and had a preference towards Blu-Ray cuz they had to dumb down his movie to fit HD-DVD but M$ pushed it's way in to making sure it was only released HD-DVD. It makes sense too. M$ wants Sony to loose at anything and everything :(

22. macrumors 65816

slffl

How about they work on streaming movies to the Mac? I wouldn't need a STB if I could stream to a Mac.

23. macrumors 65816

If this new service sucks as bad as the quality of the disks when they arrive at my door, then I don't see this as being an issue to Apple.

24. macrumors regular

Apple needs to hurry up and make their own damn TV.

25. macrumors member

Oh joy, yet another ****ing box.