Netflix, Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jaw04005, Jan 30, 2005.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    I've been a Netflix customer for awhile now. For the past 4 months, its taking 3/4/5 transit days to send and receive DVDs from my local distrubution center. I have no idea why. Previously, I could mail a DVD on Monday and receive another one by Wednesday or at the latest Thursday. Has anyone else experience a slow down in their service? Also, out of my 18 titles listed on my queue, my top 8 have "very long waits". Is Netflix going downhill? I like Netflix's selection, but its not worth the long wait. Anyone had any experience with Blockbuster or Wal-Mart rentals?
  2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Yeah, I have 2 votes from the Tacoma/Olympia WA state area that right after christmas, shipping times have slowed down significantly. We were actually talking about this at work the other day. It's such a bummer cause I really want them to pull through and beat all of the other startups.

3. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    Interesting you should mention this, cause I just rejoined Netflix after a two year absense and I am getting next-day service. Whereas with Blockbuster, with the distribution center in the same city (Cleveland) as Netflix's, I am lucky if the DVDs arrive in two days, and I have had cases where it's been the third day that they got here. (In one case I had two DVDs shipped at the exact same time and they arrived on two different days.) I don't know why this is, considering Blockbuster and Netflix both use USPS and both are sending stuff to me from Cleveland, but it is how it is.
  4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i've been keeping an eye on this too. until Christmas we were getting our discs on a two day turnaround (which is the fasted possible) but since the snowstorms and holidays we've waited up to a week to get them back. seems better on this last batch though, and i've noticed that the mailing centre has changed from CT to White Plains NY which i guess is closer. i think that's a new one as previously they were going to Queens NY.

i have noticed the "very long wait" thing too, very odd. maybe it's all these free trials they've given away...or are just super popular right now?
  5. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I get mine two days after I return them (put them in the mailbox).

Our distribution center is only a half-hour away.
  6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    I just signed up yesterday; my free trial ends just before my Blockbuster Moviepass comes up for monthly renewal ($26!!), so I'll cancel it if Netflix works well.
  7. Kmacripple macrumors member

Jan 20, 2005
    Topeka, IN (aka Amish country)
    I have had Netflix for a couple of years. The speed has been the same for me. But I also live in the middle of nowhere. It takes 3-4 days for me to send one back and get a new one. Only one of my movies has a wait. Maybe your area likes the same movies.
  8. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I've noticed it kind of goes back and forth with me. I have the 5 at a time plan, some weeks I will get 8 in one week, and some weeks just 4...generally they are pretty good, but once in a while it does feel that it can take quite sometime. I think it stems from the availability of a title from a specific distribution center, sometimes I will get a notice that 3 DVD's have shipped and I will receive 2 on one day, and the third one like 2 days later.

Generally I am happy, I tried Blockbuster's online trial and they were terrible, the turnaround was unbearable for me. I still recommend Netflix to friends who don't have it yet, overall they have done me well I feel.
  9. Santiago macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
    Mountain View, California
    Netflix also has a priority system where high-demand titles are preferentially shipped to customers that rented less movies last month. The logic being that if you rent only a few movies, you deserve to have the ones you want when you want them, but if you rent a whole lot of other movies, you have other things to watch while you wait.
  10. DigitalVideo macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2004
    Netflix has annoyed me so much lately, and I'm -> <- this close to quitting! Since July I've been on a 3-day schedule (ie. I mail one out Monday; they receive it and ship the next on Tuesday; I receive that one on Weds). Then, for about the last month it's been on a 4 or 5 day schedule (ie. I ship it on Monday; they receive it on Weds and then say "We expect to ship your next movie tomorrow"). It sent me over the edge when I mailed two movies out last Tuesday and only today did they receive one of them! (And of course, they "expect to ship my next movie tomorrow"). So, is this a Netflix or a Postal Service issue? I should note that in my unscientific troubleshooting, I have sent Netflix movies from drop boxes in town and it has taken the same 4 to 5 days, but I have not seen a slow down in shipping speeds of bills or other letters.
  11. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I closed my netflix account just the other day. The reason why was because of shipping delays. They'd receive a DVD I sent back, and not send my next one out until the next day, instead of that same day. Sometimes my que would say "shipping today" and when I checked later it said "shipping tomorrow" this annoyed me to no end.

I decided to email their customer service every time this happened. It got so 9 out of 10 were getting delayed. They usually just told me its because they had to ship from another distribution center. Of course, this is bull because they are computerized and could ship from any center they want if they chose, with no delay. This last time I got them to admit that they give priority to people who don't use the service as much as I do (the oriny is, I never got delayed when I was using it even more). So their "unlimited" dvd rental service is throttled when you use the service a lot. Not relaly unlimited is it.

So I cancelled. I signed up with blockbuster. The two in store rentals makes them attractive, along with the lower price. shipping may take longer (so I've heard) but since I was getting delayed anyway, I figured it will even out.

So in short, I don't recommend netflix anymore. I think they give their customers the run around. I got the worst answers from tehir customer service. I gave them chances to keep me and they responded with form letters. I think their website is great, and I had a lot invested in terms of ratings and what not, but I won't be jerked around by them anymore.

If you aren't happy, leave them. Try someone else, and let netflix know why you're leaving. BLockbuster seems fine, and I used walmart for a short period a year ago and it was fine too.
  12. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I mostly get mine 2 days after mailing the viewed DVD. Once in a while it takes 3 or 4 days. Not too bad since I can only watch them on weekends. What annoys me though is when I'm on the waiting list. They should have a better anticipation how popular a movie will be. I've been waiting for Friday Night Lights for 2 weeks now...
  13. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    When I first joined Netflix a couple of months ago, I was really surprised at how fast the turnaround was. I live in Hawaii and I was getting movies within 2 days. Recently, however it has slowed a lot, to where now sometimes I have to wait a week or so. Hard to tell if it is the USPS or Netflix. Probably wont quit though, since they have movies that the local Blockbuster doesn't.
  14. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Two factors may be at work here. First, Netflix signed up a ton of new subscribers in December, and second, there have been some serious winter weather systems going through the midwest, south, and northeast over the past few weeks. I haven't really noticed any significant shipping delays recently, but then again, I live about an hour away from their headquarters. :cool:
  15. DigitalVideo macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2004
    Now I really think something's up. I mailed out one DVD last Wednesday and another yesterday. As of this morning both had not been received, so I reported the first as missing in the mail (its been six days). I also complained about the poor service to their customer service. Then, literally one minute later both DVDs showed up as received on the website. Please tell me I'm not just reading into this? Has this happened to anyone else?

I live one hour away from the receiving center and despite the snow, the mail has been running just the same.