Netflix

Discussion in 'Community' started by furryrabidbunny, May 24, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I am interested in signing up for netflix, but I have a quick question for people that use it: When "renting" a television series box set, does each dvd in the box set count towards your allowed amount, or does the entire box set count as one title?

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

They send you one DVD at a time. Each sleeve is one DVD, and counts as one movie. There is no "allowed amount" on most plans (unlimited rental), but they will never send you more than one disc per sleeve.

4. freiheit macrumors 6502a

This is actually a question I had been wanting to ask for a month or so but never knew where to ask it. I'm glad someone here did. That's very good to know, as I was wanting to rent Scrubs season 1 which is 3 disks but I only want the (cheaper) 2-at-a-time deal since I won't be using it all that much.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This even goes for the movies with 2 DVDs. You have to order the 2nd DVD as well - but its not really that bad a deal. I love it and have been doing it for about a year now.

No hassle and no driving back and forth to the video store :D

D

6. iGary Guest

iGary

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If you live close to a Blockbuster store you can sign up for a similar system where, for a monthly fee, you can walk in to the store and take 1 or 2 (depending on the plan you are in) movies home. One benefit of the Blockbuster system is that you can get as many moves in a day as you want. If you go home and watch the 2 movies in 4 hours you can go back and pick up 2 more where Netflix will only send you the next one after you send the previous DVD back resulting in a delay of days between movies.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But unlike Blockbuster, Netflix has no late fees.

9. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I hate blockbuster... the reason they are the reason i was looking into netflix... i even have one about five minutes from my house. They've tried to hit me with late fees on movies i've never rented (more than once), every dvd i rent never plays correctly (smudges, scratches), and I don't like false advertising (that no late fees bs, and yes they still use it, even though they aren't supposed to). Thats a bummer though about netflix about the discs, makes sense though. I am thinking about doing the one a month, because i don't know if i have enough time to watch that many. I don't know... i have to really think hard about it, between school and work and social life, I don't know if i can be "obligated" to watch a certain amount of movies a month for it to be worth it.

10. efoto macrumors 68030

Not sure if it is a national change or not, but all the Busters by me just changed over to No Late Fees! Its really kind of a stupid setup because its just extended rental periods in effect. I think you can keep it something like 10 days past the rental date, but I think they still charge you eventually. I did the 2-at-a-time rental promo thing and it was pretty nice (Buster is roughly 10min away for me) because I could rent a couple of movies on Friday night, watch one, watch one Saturday morning, go get two more new ones Saturday afternoon, watch one etc etc, you get the idea.

It was nice because you only have to pay once. You walk in with the two you are returning (don't but them in the return box) and tell them you are a member of the program, go find your two new ones, then they scan old ones back in and scan the new ones out, no financial transaction required, and no ID card or member card either since the old ones are on your account they just swap the 2 for 2 and off you go. Good idea IMO.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I like how Blockbuster changed "Late Fee" to "Extended Viewing Fee". It sounds better and hopefully the customers won't feel like criminals when they turn a movie late and never come back again.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Blockbuster suxors.

I never wait in line anymore or deal with mentally challenged employees.

I love Netflix.

13. efoto macrumors 68030

Waiting in line I understand, but what exactly do you need the employee to do other than scan the bar and send you on your way? If you expect them to help you select a movie you will like, that is expecting a little much IMO. They can perhaps make a non-educated guess at which genre or film you will enjoy, but they are always wrong, as are most people who don't know you at all.

And on the topic of waiting, I'm quite sure you spend more time waiting for DVDs in the mail than I do waiting in line (although I really have never waited more than 1 min, surprisingly fast service at my Blockbuster).

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Netflix is cool. We have the plan that lets you have 3 movies out. At first, we would watch one a day, send one a day back, and rarely have a day when we didn't have a new movie to watch. At this point, we go through probably 7-8 movies a month. That's more than enough to make it a better deal than buying DVD's I may only watch one time.

I definitely prefer Netflix to going to Blockbuster, even though it's 2 minutes from our house. No hassles, no driving, if I suddenly remember a movie I want to see, I can log on and add it to my queue anytime, rather than try to remember it for the next trip to Blockbuster only to find they don't even have it on DVD.

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Not widely known, Blockbuster franchises do not have to abide by the "no late fee" program, my buddy and I had a very long 20 minute arguement with the owner of the one near his house. So make sure that the store you rent from is participating in the "no late fee" program before you stop returning it by the due date.

Though I have no concrete proof, Netflix does have a monthly limit for those of us that consistantly rents more than 20 DVDs/month. Though, it's still a good deal if you can get 20 a month, though I used to rent 40+/month when I first started the service.

16. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

How?

How could you possibly rent 40 in a month!? Considering the time the disks are in the mail, you'd have to watch two or three a day! :eek:

One (of many) thing that really pissed me off about Blockbuster was their refusal to carry widescreen movies. I asked why, and they said the public prefers pan and scan! So I said c-ya, I prefer Netflix! And I haven't been in a Blockbuster ever since. That was like 7 years ago. :D

17. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

If you decide to get Netflix, buy Netflix Freak -- it'll be the best $15 you'll ever spend. It's basically an app that lets you do everything you'd do on the Netflix website, except more and much faster. (The Netflix site can get annoyingly slow.) It's probably my favorite app on my iBook -- I use it daily -- and made me fall in love with Netflix all over again.

18. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I concur with all the other Netflix fans. It's fantastically convenient and it has a far, far bigger selection than any video store. I recently got into choosing TV show DVDs, which I space out across my queue. I also pick and choose from some shows (like X-Files) from which I only want to see a handful of episodes.

The way I see it, at $17.95 per month, it becomes worth it from a pure money standpoint if I watch at least two movies a week, which is about what I'd pay on average at the local store. Add in the lack of fees or deadlines, no hassle of trekking to a store, and many more movies to choose from, and it's way worth it.

Not really looking forward to getting promotional ads from Walmart though. :rolleyes:

19. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    it takes only 1 day to get to and from the shipping center, it's 20'ish miles away from my house.
    I'd get shipments monday save to hard drive and put it back in the mail.
    They get it Tuesday, and ship next set to me.
    I get set 2 on Weds, and it's back in the mail.
    etc.
    that's 12/week over 4 weeks, that's 48 DVD's. I just watch the movies during the off days or the same night i get it.

There are few (if any) P&S DVD's at the blockbuster store at my house, and the online store pretty much is widesceen if available.

20. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i've had netflix in the past and liked it, canceled it when i moved though

how does it compare with blockbusters online service? i hear you get a free store pickup each month with that, which is nice if you want to pick up a movie right away.

does Hollywood video have a comparable service?

21. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I don't use netflix, but I do use a Canadian version -- Zip. For me the biggest benefit of the model was an increased range of titles to choose from. Blockbuster can let me rent 100 movies a day if they want to, but it doesn't matter because the store by my place has *$&@#$ for selection.

22. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

blockbuster does have a service like netflix with a free rental in store... when i closed my blockbuster account the guy worker there tried to convince me to sign up. But, their service still has one major downfall... it carries the name and service of blockbuster.

23. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

Blockbuster Online service is slow. At least here in the metro phoenix area. It takes time for them to recieve and process the movies then send new ones out.
    Netflix is really really quick here in phoenix, arizona.
    Distribution centers are here in phoenix for both Blockbuster and Netflix.
    But netflix does things faster.

The only advantage I see to blockbuster is that you can go in store
    and get two rentals per month with a voucher you print on your computer with your membership.

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Blockbuster also has a not well publicized subscription setup for the physical stores (which I am currently part of). You walk into the store grab 2 movies, checkout, go home watch the movies and comeback to pick up 2 more movies. In theory if you watched 24/7 and were conveniently close to a Blockbuster you could get through 12 1.5 hour movies a day (drive time and bathroom breaks for the rest). This has the advantage of giving you more movies/day than Netflix can but you are tied to the specific store where you sign up and are limited by their selection. We just work with a few of our friends who have Netflix and work out deals for the best of both worlds. You can usually get new releases faster at Blockbuster stores but you don't have the selection of Netflix.

25. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

As I said, this was about 7 years ago. At that time they did not carry anything in widescreen that was available in pan & scan.

They have since re-thought that policy.

You must have a big-ass hard-drive to copy all those movies...
    :)