Netgear, Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Motoduc84, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Motoduc84 macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2007

Just recently became high-speed...DSL. Need to get the signal to my Mac...and here is the story:

Purchased a Netgear Router for the modem on our PC. Everything is good. Purchased a Netgear Range Extender ($160!), as the connection to my Mac is in the basement.

Netgear checks out fine. But my Macintosh won't read the signal. Won't pick up anything...and I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Mac support and they finally acknowledged that the problem must be with the Mac.

It is a G4, 533 Dual Processor. Just upgraded to Panther. I installed the Airport card (NOT Extreme) and its installation is correct. Nothing.

We unplugged the wireless phones in the home, just as a further precaution. The Airport still won't recognize the network which Netgear set up for me.

Before I spend more on this...just wanted to run it past the forum. Thanks.

2. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2007

The Netgear WGT 624 set-up (after four hours on the phone to India) is fine.

The Airport...doesn't recognize it.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    So... I know you're disinclined to want to change router settings, but....

Can you clarify some points...

1) You have a PC connected to the network, right? What settings?

2) What kind of security protocol? Is the SSID hidden? Is MAC filtering enabled?

3) Is the network set up to accept 802.11b clients, or only g clients?

4) You said you know for sure the airport card is correctly installed...have you ever successfully done anything else with the airport card besides connecting to this network?
  4. Motoduc84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2007
    Well, I am away from the set-up right now, so the only question that I can answer is #4. No. This is a new Apple Card and it hasn't proven itself!

Could it be defective? Unheard of...or...common?