Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wek

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Denmark
Hi

I have big problems with my wireless network. I have a cabled router, that also have a wireless hotspot. It’s the Netgear CG 3000. My connection is a 100/20. On a good day, I have speeds about 1276 on my wireless network. If I use cable, its all fine.

I have bought a Apple AirPort Express. Because a lot of people tells me, it will enhance my wireless network a lot.

But – how do I connect it? And what kind of network should I make on it, to get the most out of it?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
You need to investigate "bridge mode" which in turn, makes it an extension of your main router with respect to WiFi. It will allow your main router to also assign the IP addresses and your AE will act as an "extension" to your system.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
But – how do I connect it? And what kind of network should I make on it, to get the most out of it?

I would look into putting the Netgear into bridge mode and letting the AirPort handle routing. Either way, the Express must be connected via Ethernet to the Netgear.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I would look into putting the Netgear into bridge mode and letting the AirPort handle routing. Either way, the Express must be connected via Ethernet to the Netgear.

I am unsure of what you are saying here. If both cable and WiFi is being used, then the router with multiple physical ports is the best option for DHCP services. The Airport Express would simply be assigned an IP address. If only WiFi was to be used, the Airport Express is a poor choice if multiple devices are on WiFi given its own limitations as compared to typical WiFi routers. Last, Apple's interface for router control once was reasonable and now was dumb down and limited in control capabilities. If I am misunderstanding your post, I am sorry but if I read it as it is literally, then we will be in disagreement.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am unsure of what you are saying here. If both cable and WiFi is being used, then the router with multiple physical ports is the best option for DHCP services. The Airport Express would simply be assigned an IP address. If only WiFi was to be used, the Airport Express is a poor choice if multiple devices are on WiFi given its own limitations as compared to typical WiFi routers. Last, Apple's interface for router control once was reasonable and now was dumb down and limited in control capabilities. If I am misunderstanding your post, I am sorry but if I read it as it is literally, then we will be in disagreement.

You cannot connect the Express to the Netgear over Wi-Fi and use it as anything more than a client or a bridge. Just because a router has more ports does not mean it is a better DHCP server. I have seen some of the top of the line ISP provided routers fail when significant load is applied to the router. While AirPort Utility has been stripped in version 6.x, Apple has been adding features back in but it is still far from what 5.6 was. Personally, I think the Express is a waste at $100 when the Extreme is available for $129 refurbished from Apple.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
...I have a cabled router, that also have a wireless hotspot. It’s the Netgear CG 3000. ..
I have bought a Apple AirPort Express.

If your main concern is your wireless network performance, try the easy route first and set up the new Express as your WiFi access point, leaving your existing router to do the usual NAT and DHCP duties.

On your Netgear router, turn off its wireless network feature (because it might interfere with the Express's new wireless network; you can always turn it on again later if you want to experiment).

Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Netgear to the Express. On the Express, plug the cable into its WAN port -- the one with the "circle" above it, not the "arrows". On your Netgear, plug the cable into one of its LAN ports (many routers have four of these).

Try to locate the Express as close as is practical to the center of the area you want to cover. Remember you need AC power and have to route the Ethernet cable to the location. If this is difficult just put it somewhere convenient while configuring. You can always re-locate it later if the WiFi range/coverage is not good enough.

Use Airport Utility on your Mac to configure the Express. These are the important settings for this kind of setup:

Internet tab: Connect Using: DHCP (that's probably the default)

Wireless tab: Network Mode: "Create a wireless network"
You might also want to turn on the 5 GHz WiFi network (I can't remember if it is on or off by default). Click the Wireless Options button and check the 5 GHz box (network name can be the same).

Network tab: Router Mode: "Off (Bridge Mode)"

After you save the settings and the Express shows a green light, you should be able to connect to your new WiFi network!

Hope that helps get you going... good luck!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
You cannot connect the Express to the Netgear over Wi-Fi and use it as anything more than a client or a bridge. Just because a router has more ports does not mean it is a better DHCP server. I have seen some of the top of the line ISP provided routers fail when significant load is applied to the router. While AirPort Utility has been stripped in version 6.x, Apple has been adding features back in but it is still far from what 5.6 was. Personally, I think the Express is a waste at $100 when the Extreme is available for $129 refurbished from Apple.

The Express is a lackluster performer compared to other routers. It is certainly not a robust choice for those wishing to have both 2.4 and 5 bandwidths simultaneously. Surely you will agree with the latter statement. I have seen them choke when multiple people are trying to access the home network via signal to the Express. While we can agree that some combo router/modems are outright mediocre, it does not change the fact that the Express is a limited option. Naturally, it also depends on placement of hardware (which is most often the problem).

We concur that the Extreme is a better choice and it ranks as a decent but not top of the line performer. With so many options out there such as powerline, extenders and access points, the OP should be able to find a happy not too expensive home set up.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
We concur that the Extreme is a better choice and it ranks as a decent but not top of the line performer. With so many options out there such as powerline, extenders and access points, the OP should be able to find a happy not too expensive home set up.

I definitely agree about the fact that the wireless hardware in the Express is mediocre at best. I recommend either bumping up to an Extreme (for simplicity and reliability) or going to one of the ASUS models (for better benchmarks).

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I definitely agree about the fact that the wireless hardware in the Express is mediocre at best. I recommend either bumping up to an Extreme (for simplicity and reliability) or going to one of the ASUS models (for better benchmarks).

Asus (and some Netgear) offerings indeed would be a major step up for both reliability and WiFi-ability. Unfortunately, typical home users jump back to Apple (much to Apple's credit) for the "plug and almost play" aspect of their offerings.

I find that Airport Extreme is a reasonable solution for smaller homes and apartments but isn't really the best for the start of a more robust and complex network. The Asus as you mentioned would be an excellent heart of a network.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I find that Airport Extreme is a reasonable solution for smaller homes and apartments but isn't really the best for the start of a more robust and complex network. The Asus as you mentioned would be an excellent heart of a network.

We use an Extreme as the main router of a 200+ client network with dual VLANs running, so I would not exactly call it lackluster for complex networks. That being said, the ASUS offerings for a home user will offer better benchmarks. Whether that performance benefit is seen in the real world environment over the AirPort depends on the usage pattern.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
We use an Extreme as the main router of a 200+ client network with dual VLANs running, so I would not exactly call it lackluster for complex networks. That being said, the ASUS offerings for a home user will offer better benchmarks. Whether that performance benefit is seen in the real world environment over the AirPort depends on the usage pattern.

200 clients via WiFi or cabled ? Of the latter, might one venture to say there is a switch between the AE and the clients?

Wek

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Denmark
Thanks a lot all :) I start testing all this :) and ket you know what I do in the end :)

Wek

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Denmark
If your main concern is your wireless network performance, try the easy route first and set up the new Express as your WiFi access point, leaving your existing router to do the usual NAT and DHCP duties.

On your Netgear router, turn off its wireless network feature (because it might interfere with the Express's new wireless network; you can always turn it on again later if you want to experiment).

Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Netgear to the Express. On the Express, plug the cable into its WAN port -- the one with the "circle" above it, not the "arrows". On your Netgear, plug the cable into one of its LAN ports (many routers have four of these).

Try to locate the Express as close as is practical to the center of the area you want to cover. Remember you need AC power and have to route the Ethernet cable to the location. If this is difficult just put it somewhere convenient while configuring. You can always re-locate it later if the WiFi range/coverage is not good enough.

Use Airport Utility on your Mac to configure the Express. These are the important settings for this kind of setup:

Internet tab: Connect Using: DHCP (that's probably the default)

Wireless tab: Network Mode: "Create a wireless network"
You might also want to turn on the 5 GHz WiFi network (I can't remember if it is on or off by default). Click the Wireless Options button and check the 5 GHz box (network name can be the same).

Network tab: Router Mode: "Off (Bridge Mode)"

After you save the settings and the Express shows a green light, you should be able to connect to your new WiFi network!

Hope that helps get you going... good luck!

I have followed this. Now my router keep blinking red at the port where the internet cable is connected to the Air Express? but there is wireless connection?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have followed this. Now my router keep blinking red at the port where the internet cable is connected to the Air Express? but there is wireless connection?

The router talks to your devices (WiFi ) and then the router interfaces to the Internet (it is the middle man) and thus it is possible to have your devices via WiFi talking to the router which can also see your other devices whether your Internet is working or not. WiFi is one part of what your router does and connecting to the Internet is another.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
200 clients via WiFi or cabled ? Of the latter, might one venture to say there is a switch between the AE and the clients?

We see a maximum of 35 clients on the AE via Wi-Fi at any given time (it services the main office and an adjacent classroom at the school) and routes for all of the other clients via Ethernet to UniFi APs and AP Pros.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015

Sounds like you might have missed the bridge mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.