Netgear DG834G wont keep connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by idiwa, Mar 21, 2007.

1. idiwa macrumors member

Dunno what the hell is going on with this. Modem is a Netgear DG834G bought about 3 months ago. Never had any hassles with it and its linked to 2 PCs via cable and to a MacBook and 360 via wifi.

Today when I booted the mac up there was no connection. Network Diagnostic on the mac side says that there is a signal and a broad band connection but no access to the net and server failed. Their solution wizard came up with sod all.

[​IMG]

Ran the modem setup via the IP address and it says we are online. So I rebooted it (the mac) and nothing happened... still no connection. I checked some more options, rebooted the modem again and bingo we were connected. About 30 seconds later it was gone again. If I go into Router Status and then click on Connection Status it shows that we are connected and the speed etc. If i then hit disconnect and then reconnect we have a connection and I can access the web, but between 30 seconds and 2mins later the connection goes.

The idle timeout is set to ZERO as its always been (I did set it to 50 just to test it and still i would go off in a matter of seconds).

I've reset the modem via the IP control panel and the factor reset button and still the same ****. I've made sure that all cables have been re seated. The 360 cant see the connection and neither can the two PCs.

The phone line is fine, getting and making calls.

If i use the TEST function under basic settings, the modem will connect and go to a Netgear webpage straight away, again in a matter of seconds its offline again. It makes not difference if I am idle or clicking on links constantly, it will still bomb out in seconds.

Any ideas?

2. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

If this is happening to all connected devices then i would check with your ISP to see if they have any issues?

I too had a problem with my DG834 and it ended up being my ISP. Even drove 40 miles to get the router changed and that wasn't the fault.

3. idiwa thread starter macrumors member

Too late to call the ISP right now (GMT) so i've submited a ticket and we'll see what happens. A friend had a similar issue with the same modem last week thou he is PC based. He updated MSN and it solved the issue, which makes no sense at all. I've taken off some 3rd party apps I installed last week (widgets and other no essential tat) and still no joy. This is really bad timing as I'm doing my dissertation at the moment.

Maybe by the time I get up tomorrow the isp pixies will come and magic everything back to normal.......

4. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Is the light always green on the DSL?

5. idiwa thread starter macrumors member

Flicks on and off green. Not a constant flashing but flicker like its accessing something.

6. idiwa thread starter macrumors member

turns out it was some local fault with the BT phone lines. I work for GAME and the night of the PS3 launch I mentioned the fault to someone and about 10 customers said they had the same issue (all on different ISPs). It sorted now but its bloody anoying when you rip out cables etc and find out its not even a fault your end. Thanks for your help.