netgear router help!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reebs, Feb 18, 2004.

1. reebs macrumors 6502

I have an iMac and am trying to connect netgear router MR814v2 through my DSL modem with no success. I am trying to connect either through the ethernet port or the airport. When I go through the basic settings of netgear , I cannot connect to the internet. Please help. Thnaks.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: netgear router help!

OK, first things first.

Can you connect to the internet with your iMac plugged directly into your DSL modem? If so, then you know that the problem isn't your modem.

When plugging in the modem into your Netgear, you have to make sure the IP address gets released. On my cable modem, I have to turn off the modem and wait a minute and turn it back on. That way, the IP address gets released and the new one recognizes the router.

So try doing that if you haven't done so.

3. radhak macrumors regular

i had some problems when i started out, check this old thread. I think i needed some sort of a firmware upgrade.

4. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I can confirm this. My 12" PB would not connect to a Netgear MR814 router. The problem is entirely with the router. Go to Netgear's website and download the newest firmware for the router. The site gives you full instructions on how to install it. Good luck.

5. reebs thread starter macrumors 6502

okay, tried that...no success

Yes, I do have internet connection without the netgear router, just using the DSL modem. I tried resetting the IP address and upgrading the firmware to version 5.03 but still have had no success. Should I be trying to connect via ethernet port first or airport? (Ultimately, I want to connect through the airport card). I'm also planning on connecting my ibookG4 to the router via airport extreme card when I finally figure this out!

Also when doing the basic settings when connecting to the router, do I need to also fill in the wireless settings? I tried calling tech support and they couldn't help me after 4 hrs on the phone!

Thanks. Any suggestions would help!:confused:

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You should definately be doing the set-up with the Ethernet connection first. Get that to work prior to setting up the wireless connection.

Here are a few things to try.

1. Make sure the router is distributing an IP address. Should be 168.192.0.xxx or something.

2. Try messing with the settings in you Network System Pref. Choose DCHP, as that usually works. You might have to try PPoE or something like that.

3. There's a setting for the router for maximum speed. Usually, that's set on Automatic. Try tinkering with that.

Don't be afraid to try different set-ups. There's always a reset button on the router.