Netgear SC101

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by .Joel, Jan 11, 2006.

1. .Joel macrumors member

Has anyone here had any luck connecting a Netgear SC101 to an Apple mac ?

I am interested in expanding my network storage, and this unit seems fantastic as it also mirrors its own files.

Just interested if anyone has been able to connect to the unit ?

Regards,

.Joel

2. belvdr macrumors 601

I doubt it will work with a Mac system, as it appears the Netgear software must be installed on each client, and the specs say Windows only.

Why not get an external hard drive instead that connects via Firewire or USB?

3. .Joel thread starter macrumors member

Already had that, don't like it. I want something that can go straight onto the network and be shared. We have a Powermac and a Powerbook. The powermac is being replaced by a new iMac, and we are adding a new MacBook Pro to the family. So for this reason it is easier if it is attatched directly to the network so it can be shared.

Regards,

.Joel

4. dkozi macrumors newbie

i too have been looking for more network functionality. i haven't made the purchase yet, but i did find something online that might be of interest to you - keyspan has a usb router that allows up to four devices to be connected, and ties into the network via lan type connection and/or wi-fi. bets of all it is osx compatible.
    check their website and see, check the specs, and see if this will fit your needs.
    good-luck.

5. matkinson macrumors newbie

Successful Mac backup on Netgear SC101

I got the Netgear SC101 to successfully back up my Mac!

1. I set up Windows sharing on my Mac so that I could access the Mac's folders on my PC.
    2. On my PC I created a new backup profile for the SC101 using the SmartSync software that was bundled with the SC101. In the new backup profile I defined the source folders for the backup as the ones on the Mac. I was able to select them by going through My Network Places to the Mac.
    3. I run the Mac backup from my PC, which effectively acts as a controller for the Mac backup process.

Just figured this out in the last 10 minutes. Seems to be working well.

Mat

6. DataDoc macrumors newbie

Mac Driver is now available for SC101 and SC101T

Okay, everyone who has requested and demanded Mac drivers for Netgear SC101 and SC101T, it's here!

Newt Data Systems (www.NewtData.com) has a software package for Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard that will allow you to access and manage your Netgear Storage Central units. Called the Mac Storage Manager, this software is fully compatible with volumes created with Netgear's Windows only Storage Central Manager (SCM). You can access and share volumes and files created with your Windows system.

Newt's Mac Storage Manager also lets Mac users create files in Mac's native HFS file system. One additional handy feature provides a way to recover "broken mirrors" on your SC101 -- a feature Netgear failed to provide in the SCM.

7. Bikila macrumors newbie

Expensive for a NAS (or SAN?)

DataDoc, don't forget that the driver you mentioned costs 69 bucks :eek:. Sort'a expensive (got my sc101 for $45, given its age). If anyone from newt reads this: is there any way you will drop the price, before the sc101 lands en masse in the landfills?
    :) greetings!

8. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Well, what I decided to do is....

Given that I had a very good, very large drive inside my SC101, I went down to my local geek store and bought an external HD case with a USB interface. I took apart my SC101, salvaged the drive, tweaked the jumpers a bit, plugged everything together, attached the drive into my Airport extreme and....now I have a portable, networked drive, accessible anywhere in the world via an afp connection. Not sure if that helps you or not but...it works!

The whole thing took about an hour. :D

9. dilgreen macrumors newbie

they listened!

got the software for $49 - they have a sale...

now I hope it works..

10. muppetgeoff macrumors newbie

Os X 10.5.7

Hi All!

I am using 'Mac Storage Manager' version 1.3 to access a newly purchased
    Netgear SC101T, and I am having quite a few problems, which I thought I'd share.

Firstly, probably just cosmetic, but the GUI has several 'problems' - the
    first being that the Volume management (like "Create New Volume") buttons
    are totally blank. Pure guesswork resulted in me clicking the empty box
    and figuring out what it did. Then sometimes, I have to restart the app
    because the action buttons (e.g. 'next') in the GUI popups, are missing!
    They seem to float off the window!

Now, the REAL problem.... The application DIES. I mean to say, that if I
    use the mounted drives very much at all, they seem to screw up. The MSM
    application refuses to run, and I have to
    un-install and Re-install the whole application again! Thankfully I found
    the updated instructions on the NewtData website FAQ...

Then, the killer - access to the mounted volumes is incredibly slow. I am
    on a single segment Gigabit network, and I am trying to sync my current
    data to the box. I have better speed writing to a locally connected USB drive through a USB hub! (So less than USB 1 speed!)

I have also noticed that my Mac has started to 'hang' during shutdown.
    This is only since installing MSM - and I suspect it is an issue when
    dismounting the SC101T volumes.

I know its not 'my mac', as I have tried it from my OS X 10.5.7 laptop,
    with exactly the same results.

I have contacted NewtData for an update, but have yet to hear anything at all. Thier telephone numbers just ring and ring, eventually answered by a machine....

If it worked properly, I'm sure it would be brilliant. But in its current state, the product is unusable and I would have been better off hunting eBay for a 'standard' NAS enclosure, which would have cost less that the SC101T + MSM software!