Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router - setting it up?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ringu, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Ringu macrumors member

Mar 20, 2005
    Hi there,

I just bought a Netgear WGR614v6, and it's just occurred to me that there's no mention of it being MacOS compatible on the box, despite Netgear's website saying it is MacOS compatible.

Does anyone know if I can run the Smartwizard CD that's included in the box on a Mac? I've not opened the box yet, so that I can get a refund if it's no good for me.

How easy is this router to set up?

Thanks for any help.
  2. emaja macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You can use that router just fine - I do. Don't bother with their disk as it is for Windows only. Just make your configuration changes through the broswer interface instead.
  3. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I've got a Netgear wired ADSL modem/router and have also used 3Com and D-Link wireless routers with my Macs and in my experience you don't have to install any software, so I don't see why in theory it shouldn't be compatible with Mac OS X. All of my routers have had a web browser-based interface for the configuration.

Best way to set it up is to first hard-wire your Mac to the router and use the web setup wizard. On a Netgear router just enter the IP address and you should be in (the default username & password are probably just 'admin' but will be listed in the manual anyway). Once you've enabled wireless access & set any encryption etc then pull the ethernet cable out and give it a try!

Perhaps someone else here can just confirm this though, before you break the seal on that box...
  4. Ringu thread starter macrumors member

Mar 20, 2005
    Thanks for both your replies. Before I break the box's wrapper open, does this browser interface just appear when i hook up the Netgear router to my broadband box (BT broadband box).

Sorry to sound so ignorant.
  5. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    Yes it does. I just installed mine 3 weeks ago. It took all of about 3 minutes to set up. Make sure you connect it via a Ethernet cable first though. You have to activate the wireless after setting it up.
  6. Ringu thread starter macrumors member

Mar 20, 2005
    Cool. Thanks a lot for the reassurance. I'll give it a shot and come back if I've made a c0ck up!
  7. amrsmk macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2006
    WGR614v6 setup CD

Please Ringu ,
    I lost my WGR614v6 wireless router's CD, can u hlp me to setup my router on my new PC, is there a website can i download te driver or the setup files from it as Netgear website has no drivers to download except firmware fixes.
  8. dex22 macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2003
    Round Rock, TX
    In detail:

Set your Mac to use DHCP on the ethernet port.
    Connect your Mac to a LAN socket on your router with an ethernet cable.
    Power up the router, and watch as your mac picks up an IP (like
    Open Safari and go to
    Log in. Netgear usually puts the default admin uname/passwd on the label of the router.
    Configure using the handy web interface.
    When you save the configuration, the router will restart. It should reconnect in 10 seconds or so.

One tip, is to keep an eye on it for a few days and see if it gets hot. If it does, I recommend you put it on a hard surface, not carpet, or use the natty little feet that come with it and stand it up.

Hope this helps...
  9. lsaufley macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2005
    Thank you!!!

Thank you to dex22 for making setting up my NG WGT624 effortless. If they would only put your instructions in their incoherent installation manual.
    Up and zipping along...
  10. TangoCharlie macrumors member

Jul 21, 2004
    Horsham, West Sussex
    You don't need it.

You don't need the CD.... just connect to it via an ethernet cable and point
    your web-browser at the router's IP... it's probably (My Linksys's IP is Simply configure it that way.

11. nitawalk macrumors newbie

Feb 17, 2008
    Help Netgear WGR614

Please Help Nita,

I lost my WGR614 wireless router's CD, can u help me to setup my router on my PC, is there a website can i download the driver or the setup files from it as Netgear website has no drivers to download.
  12. a104375 macrumors 6502

Oct 8, 2007
    Matamoras, PA
    yeah i wouldnt worry bout the cd those things are the easiest things to setup