Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somethingclever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I've seen this problem on some other boards, but found no substantial answers.

I'm trying to connect to a Netgear FM114 wireless router, with moderate success. The G5 is telling me that I'm connected to the network and have access to the internet, however, it's just leading me on.
Symptoms are as follows:
-Wireless signal is at 3 bars
-I am able to view others on the network via Rendezvous, but I do not show up for them, also - we are unable to communicate.
-Cannot access any outside sources via browsers, ftp, dig, or ping
-A pc on the network is accessing everything fine, as is an iBook using the same settings as my G5.

Any ideas?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Try resetting the router. If it doesn't have a button, then pull the power for ~10 seconds.

Does the G5 have the most recent updates?
Can you ping your router?

Sometimes Apple stuff has issues with non-Apple stuff (wireless, I mean) but because your iBook works I would think that the G5 would, too. Like, if you have WEP enabled sometimes things work out like you are saying. But... well, you never know.
And this is an APExtreme card we are talking about?

Is there any firmware updates for your router?

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
somethingclever said:
I've seen this problem on some other boards, but found no substantial answers.

I'm trying to connect to a Netgear FM114 wireless router, with moderate success. The G5 is telling me that I'm connected to the network and have access to the internet, however, it's just leading me on.
Symptoms are as follows:
-Wireless signal is at 3 bars
-I am able to view others on the network via Rendezvous, but I do not show up for them, also - we are unable to communicate.
-Cannot access any outside sources via browsers, ftp, dig, or ping
-A pc on the network is accessing everything fine, as is an iBook using the same settings as my G5.

Any ideas?

I bet your not getting DNS info from the router. Check the DNS settings on your mac and try to compare them to something on the PC that is working.

BEN

somethingclever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Mechcozmo said:
Does the G5 have the most recent updates?
Yep.
Can you ping your router?
Yes, it doesn't timeout or anything.
And this is an APExtreme card we are talking about?
Yep, Airport Extreme.
Is there any firmware updates for your router?
This I'm unsure of. I'm troubleshooting a friend's router while I'm staying at their house, and they have yet to get back to me with the login/pass info for the router settings.
saabmp3 said:
Check the DNS settings on your mac and try to compare them to something on the PC that is working.
I could wire a Mac into a custard filled pastry without any problems, but if I touch anything running MS: sparks start flying and smoke pours out. Even if I wasn't getting the DNS info, I should still be able to communicate with other comps on the network, right?
tjmcardl said:
Also, make sure your router's firmware is up to date. I had problems connecting my ibook to my netgear wireless router (MR814v2) before upgrading to the latest firmware.
Thanks for the link Tim. Again, I'm waiting on that l/p to check the router settings. I guess there's nothing much I can really try in the meantime aside from resetting the router. Hopefully, a firmware update will fix me up.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The fact that other Macs can be got by Rendezvous means you have an Ethernet connection. Appletalk networking will probably work fine.

What you need now is IP. I bet your G5 is not getting the DHCP settings automatically from the router, consequently the G5 does not have a valid IP address (hence their inability to contact you), and it doesn't have a DNS server entry (hence the outside world remaining dark).

Does your Network settings show an IP of 169.x.x.x? Or what? 169... is a dead giveaway that you're not getting DHCP 'cause it's the default "I don't have an address" address.

Is your Gateway or Router setting set to the internal IP address of your Netgear? You may have the G5 set to get settings automatically (DHCP), but either it can't pick it up from the router, or the router has DHCP turned off.

What happens if you set your Network settings entirely manually? Crib them from one of the other machines; enter the IP Address as XXX.XXX.XXX.YYY where YYY is some number different from the thers. Ehter the Router address and the DNS address and use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask.

Do you get connection now?

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
somethingclever said:
Even if I wasn't getting the DNS info, I should still be able to communicate with other comps on the network, right?

Yup, you should. Look up the iBook's info and then compare that to the G5's info. See what's different and tell us.

somethingclever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
-Both using automatic configuration-

iBook:
IP: 192.168.3.107​
Router: 192.168.3.1​
G5:
IP: 192.168.3.108​
Router: 192.168.3.107​
It looks like everything should be working smoothly. Still no go though, my friend has yet to return my calls about his router's l/p - for firmware updates, etc.

*edit: the G5's router address is actually 192.168.3.1*

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
somethingclever said:
-Both using automatic configuration-

iBook:
IP: 192.168.3.107​
Router: 192.168.3.1​
G5:
IP: 192.168.3.108​
Router: 192.168.3.107​
It looks like everything should be working smoothly. Still no go though, my friend has yet to return my calls about his router's l/p - for firmware updates, etc.

Your G5 thinks the iBook is the router. Is your iBook sharing it's Internet connection (Prefs > Sharing > Internet)? If so, shut that off and try again with the G5.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
emw said:
Your G5 thinks the iBook is the router. Is your iBook sharing it's Internet connection (Prefs > Sharing > Internet)? If so, shut that off and try again with the G5.

Whoa! I didn't compare the IPs... nice catch!

somethingclever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Uh oh. I led you guys astray, that was a total miscopy on my part - I apologize. The router ip for the G5 is indeed 192.168.3.1 (the same as the iBook's router).

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
somethingclever said:
Uh oh. I led you guys astray, that was a total miscopy on my part - I apologize. The router ip for the G5 is indeed 192.168.3.1 (the same as the iBook's router).

Just to confirm - the iBook is also connected wirelessly to the router, as is the G5?

Also, you only gave us the TCP/IP settings for the iBook and G5, can you also provide the rest of the network settings (firewall settings, etc.). Just looking at the IP addresses would seem to indicate all is well.

Another thing that strikes me as a little odd is that there are 3 computers attached to the network, but the IP addresses are up to 107/108, where I would expect them to be 100/101/102 for the three connections. Is there anything else on the network that could be causing problems?

Edit: Another interesting thing is that the router address is 192.168.3.1, where the default is generally 192.168.1.1. Is this router also connected to a wired router (therefore acting as an access point)? That could be causing problems too.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Just thought I'd chime in here. My parents have this exact same model router, and it has known compatibility issues with Macs. The latest firmware for the router fixed the problem, as the unit came with an older version. I believe the incompatibility was even mentioned in the firmware's "Bug fixes" section, but I'm not sure about that.

I'd work hard on getting the info to update the router, if possible. Although, it may be likely that they kept the default settings, which are mentioned on Netgear's firmware update pages.

somethingclever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
The firmware update, among other things did it for me.

After updating the firmware, I wasn't allowed to connect to the network at all. After poking around on the iBook, I saw that this was because I wasn't on the list of "trusted PCs." Prior to the firmware update, I suppose I was able to connect to the LAN, but the router would refuse to transmit info to my rogue G5. I added myself via MAC address and am now surfing happily.

As for the odd ip setups, the friend I'm staying with said that he prefers an irregular set of ips because they "look cooler." ...anyway...

Thanks for your help guys, I'm sorry the solution wasn't as thrilling as may have been hoped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.