Netinfo Manager help PLEASE

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by mum4d, Aug 24, 2004.

1. mum4d macrumors newbie

Please help. While I was on vacation, someone has tried to change the short name of our OSX Server by opening netinfo manager, going to users, highlighting the main user, authenticating, then changed the name. I dont know why they did this but now we cannot install anything because it will not except the password. I have tried to change it back but again it will not let me modify the directory.

How can I get back to how it was without re installing?

2. pncc macrumors regular

I don't think you can. Did the 'someone' enable root when they made their change? If so, try that password. User names exist in multiple places in NI. If you don't change all of them exactly the same, Users and groups gets all FUBAR'd.

3. boomtopper macrumors member

boomtopper

The mac admin at my college told me a way of resseting the master password. All you have to do is insert the os x.3 install disc in and restart. When it is loaded in the menu bar there is a option to reset password. I hope this helps.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

oh boy, stuffing around with NetInfo Manager like that is really bad...

as pncc mentioned, this could = FUBAR.

on the subject of changing the short user name, you can do this following the documentation on Apple KnowlegeBase. i did that, and everything's working peachy for me. :)