Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
A

AAPL

well...ya

Well, mozilla.org has been making MacOS X builds of the mozilla browser for quite some time now. The mozilla browser is technically Netscape 6 for the most part. Netscape 6 is the first app being built with the tools that the mozilla organization has developed.

A port of the Mozilla Browser / Netscape (5)6 for yellow box has been underway ever since the pre-os x Rhapsody project. More modern Carbons ports have been coming for the past year or so.

Currently MacOS X builds of Mozilla are built almost every night. You can get fresh copies of the browser at mozilla.org's ftp site at any time.

It is now surprise that this was coming. Mozilla's OS X developer(s) have been telling us for a while to test 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 builds since they were most likly to end up with the Netscape 6.1 name slapped on.

Netscape 6.x will probably drop the "preview" title some time in august or september. It is well known that this browser has a horable bug that affects DualG4s...it becomes very vrey very slow. However that bug will not be fixed until some of the netscape guys get a 1 on 1 with Apple's OS X developers in August.

But hey... Mozilla is open source. If you want more "inside" info on this browser go to mozilla.org. Everything is open.

D

d00d

It's good

I stayed from Mozilla for the most part because it never quite lived up to my expectations, but that changed when I tried 0.9.2. It was stable and fast. Now that Netscape has posted a version for OS X based on Mozilla 0.9.2, I'm a fan of Netscape again!

D

d00d

Re: Netscpae has been dead

Originally posted by MrMacman
I'm using ver 4.7 anything above is worthless.

What a wonderfully inarticulate, indefinite vague post, I look forward to more.

Shaft

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2001
Switzerland/Zürich
Good alternative browser

Yes, Netscape 6.1 or Mozilla 0.9.3 on OS X are very good browsers. They're stable and fast in page rendering. I also like the look and feel of them. But there's one reason why I don't use them always:Unfortunately my internet-online-banking is still not running!!!!!

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Personally, I've been disgusted with Netscapes browsers for about a year now. I used 4.x for a long long time and loved it, the problem is that 4.x was around so long and began to feel slugish and sub-par when compared to IE 5.0. And as for OS X, OmniWeb is the best in my opinion.
I suppose for the sake of argument I'll have to download 6.1, but only because Netscape was my first love. We'll see though.

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
I will play around with it when I get some time(me = too busy right now, shouldn't even be taking all this time to post :D)

People being rude, that comes with forums. I guess some people just don't like when others have differeing opinions.

E

e Th eR B o B

I'd hardly call d00d's comments rood, or outlandish. Your statement was very vague, and having been someone who agreed with you before trying 0.9.3, I'm willing to bet you were also uniformed. Before now, I hadn't even seen the potential for Mozilla, but now I see that it's limitless. This browser is easily on par with any other modern web browser, and due to it's open source nature will continue to get better and better, until it surpasses most others. Think about it. IE was considered top-dog for the last year or two and it's been around about seven(?) years and is on version five. Meanwhile Mozilla's been around for maybe half that time, and already it's about on par with the exception of a few specialized/secure web sites. I'd be willing to bet that, at its current rate of improvement, Mozilla will have kicked the crap out of IE 6 by next year. Bravo Moz!

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
While the fact that Mozilla is open source will greatly help the development of the browser. On the other hand IE has the financial backing and full support from Apple.
Mozilla has not yet established anything whereas IE is established as the browser of choice. Many users use the base software shipped with their computer, IE ships with Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X, that alone is a hurdle Mozilla has to face. But of course if Mozilla becomes as great as you are predicting, Mac users will go for it. We do generally want the best.

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

And just because a post is vague, does not warrant an attack on it. It is just a forum people.

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Opera?

Anybody out there using Opera?

They currently have Opera 5 Betas and previews for Mac OS 9.1 and OS X. The downloads expire in September, so I'm wondering if by then, the Carbon version will be a full release.

Xistor

macrumors member
May 1, 2001
California
Netscape 6.1

Netscape 6.1 for OS X is pretty good.. Far better than the very unstable (not to mention astheticly UGLY) Mozilla builds I have tried in the past.

PRO: Loads every page I tested faster than Internet Explorer 5.1 or any other X browser...

CON: Loading cached pages should be faster than the initial load from the net.. for some reason, the cache operates noticably slower! (at least on a 512 Kbps Cable modem).. so going back and forth between different pages you've already visit on a site is plain annoying because it's faster just to reload them than to let the browser dig them out of the cache.. How can this be???

CON: It'll import bookmarks from IE, BUT try to edit their positioning in your list or some of their attributes... ugh-->for some reason, it treats imported bookmarks differently from how it treats ones generated by Netscape.. this is really odd. Somehow this one made me feel like I smoked crack until I realized, yah, something is really wrong here and it's not me.

PRO: Unlike some non-IE browsers, this one works with flash!

CON: Flash can be choppy, slower to react and becomes noticable on some sites like http://www.planetoftheapes.com

CON: Not fully Java or Java script compatible? Can't remember which. Didn't cooperate with Safeweb, completely failed to attempt to load Hushmail.

I'm hoping that they really work some more of the quirks out of the next release.. I may finally be able to toss that bug-ridden Internet Explorer Microsoft tainted garbage pile in the recycle bin where it belongs.. :)

S

Shrug

Netscape is AOL, AOL is Netscape. Based on that my expectations are pretty low. I have been unimpressed with AOL sofware and it's development for years, why should I expect more from Netscape?

S

Shrug

Netscape is AOL, AOL is Netscape. Based on that my expectations are pretty low. I have been unimpressed with AOL software and it's development for years, why should I expect more from Netscape?

A

AAPL

For those of you who think thenew build pf Mozilla /netscape are unstable... clear out your old mozilla registeries, preferences, document etc (search you system for "mozilla" or "netscape" and trash every related to the next gen browser).

Old prefs are incompatable with new builds and they cause the browser to act strange or crash. Once these things are deleated the browser transforms into something very very cool. Mozilla actually has less talkback reported bugs then netscape 4.7.8... so It is more then stable.

I personally love this browser. I would love it a bit more if someone would create a nice aqua skin. There is one out their now, but it kind of sucks. I think the mozilla guys are working on skinable forms too...that would be sick. I know quite a few mac users are kind of lusting for mac-ish forms.

I can't wait for hat dual processor bug to be fixed...that bug sucks. I would love to run mozilla on my Dual 450.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Aol Sucks

I use Aol or as I like to call it Gayol. They have no mac support. They will never have a mac/pc release schedule. 6.0 for mac will never be here. And they are Tons of bugs, memory errors, graphic loading errors..... any things are wrong with aol.
Netscape is better.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
what?

im surprised how MS IE 5 for osx is not even mentioned. It is the best or? or? or? youre knaaaive or?

murtaugh

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2001
WHY NO JAVA?

my biggest gripe: why no java support?! -- both Netscape and Mozilla show an "MRJ Plugin" in their plugin folders but neither seems to have java support turned on. strange since built-in java support is a big OSX feature.

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
Re: WHY NO JAVA?

I just tried to run a java applet I wrote. It works, but somehow the right edge is cut of, otherwise, it seems to work great.

Originally posted by murtaugh
my biggest gripe: why no java support?! -- both Netscape and Mozilla show an "MRJ Plugin" in their plugin folders but neither seems to have java support turned on. strange since built-in java support is a big OSX feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.