Netscape 7...do u care?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mnkeybsness, Aug 29, 2002.

?

Netscape 7 was launched today (8-29) Do you care?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Maybe

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. I wouldn't download Netscape if i had a 40 foot log shoved up my arse and downloading it was the onl

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. What the crap is Netscape?

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

this is a copy of the screen savers poll...but i'm more interested to hear what just mac users have to say...

Netscape 7 was launched today....do you care?

thoughts....

2. vniow macrumors G4

Hell no. Netscape 6 was an overdone, bloated and slow browser and 7 is also overdone and bloated but it's quicker. Basically all 7 is is one big AOL ad. :( I had faith in Netscape, but after reading the reviews of it, I'm sticking with Mozilla. :)

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I care only because:

a) Its not affiliated with MS

and

b) It is standards compliant and promotes standards in general. (something that MS doesn't do).

Taft

4. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

Yea...but Netscape is owned by AOL....For that reason alone it needs to die a horrible death.

5. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I haven't used Netscape for two years. I haven't used IE for a month. Chimera is alright but Mozilla seems to be the top, IMO.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I'm running it now, it's certainly better than Mozilla, which i had been using... some things still lag a bit, but it's an improvement. I'm afraid i don't see the AOL ad thing, but whatever. Yeah it's owned by the biggest crappy ISP in the world, but it's still the lesser of two evils...

i do wish it could load faster... jeez... 'course i don't quit it except to reboot...

:)
    pnw

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would have downloaded the final version of Netscape, but I'm enjoying the speed and anti-alising of Mozilla 1.1.

Personally, I don't care about browser companies/orgs, unless one of them works fast, is stable, and gets the job done. I haven't tried Chimera, but I'll probably give it a go when it hits 1.0.0.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'll download it for my mum and dad's machine because they already use it (v6.2) and like it.

I use Mozilla except where the website requires Internet Exploder.

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Netscape is a bloated browser. I resent it because of it's AOL affiliations.

Personally I'll stick with Chimera or Omniweb (much more stable then IE or NS7)

10. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i hated the netscrap 7 public beta, when i installed netscrap 7, it made problems with mozilla so i couldnt use mozilla well anymore
    i noticed to day that the netscape.com/download page had changed when i was trying to dl 4.8 on os8.6 (yes os 8.6 n yes netscrap 4.8 :()

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I'm getting the full one now, I'm pretty sreu I'll like it because its alot faster than mozilla, not rendering , its just that moz on OSX is sluggish as , so I'll let you know

12. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Faster?

I'm happy to try anything that might make my browser experience faster under OS X.

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, I just tried NS 7 and it loaded the macrumors.com home page in 5 seconds, and IE took 9. That's without caching. The GUI is ugly as sin, though... In VersionTracker terms, I give it 3 stars. One off for being bloated, and one off for being Netscape. :p

14. 3777 macrumors 6502

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i would never touch Netscape. i don't even know why it is still being developed. what's wrong with IE? i've got Chimera as well, but i never seem to use that either...

and what's iCab?:confused:

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

17. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i wont care for a netscape product until chimera IS rtheir OS X product. which will probably happen next year.

18. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

19. ackpth macrumors newbie

... you're kidding, right?

20. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i must say i'm quite surprised about how many people are voting YES in this poll...but nobody has that much to say about it that's good.

21. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It's a browser that I left for dead a long time ago. They had strict HTML 4.01 compliance, but it didn't support CSS, and the GUI was even worse than Netscape. Of course, the last time I tried it was back in OS 9, so who knows...

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=9109&db=mac

22. 3777 macrumors 6502

ICab for OSX is 100 times better then the early builds of OS9.......at least I think so anyway....... the best browser I have besides Explorer.....

23. 3777 macrumors 6502

CSS

They suck on a number of browsers anyway.:D

24. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

I'm using OmniWeb, and its workin nicely in OS X. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Netscape, never really was, but i guess it works for some people. To each his own:)

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm surprised to hear you say that the Netscape version is faster than Mozilla since about 75 percent of both is the same code. Guess that 25 percent counts in a big way. :)